Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sunflower - Gen 1 Ch 7

Life has settled down again at the Greenbow's after all the excitement of Raven's wedding. Max came home from work today with great news - he's been promoted again. His alien invasion theories have proved so popular with his superiors that he was allowed to join the astronaut program in order to investigate them more thoroughly.
"I couldn't have done it without you, Sunny. Thank you for making me stick with it when I wanted to quit."


Max's new schedule gives him lots of free time, so he is upgrading all our appliances. No more kitchen fires! The stove is now fireproof.


It's time for baby Rayne's birthday. I can't believe he is growing up so fast. I snuggled him one last time.


Happy Birthday! Rayne was delighted at growing up. He is fascinated by my easel, and keeps begging me to let him use it.



"Please, mom, can we go to the art museum today?" I hear this request at least two or three times a week.
"Of course, sweetie. Just let me finish my gardening." Today Rayne discovered the easel at the museum, and after the seeing how much he enjoyed it, I had to buy him one of his own. We set it up right next to mine.



"Mom, wake up!" Rose was calling me. "There's a burglar in the yard! Call the police, I'm going to go out there and try to stop them."
"No, Rose! Come back!" but she was already running out the door. I quickly called the police and ran out to try and stop her.
"Let the police handle it, you'll get hurt!" Fortunately the officer arrived at this point, and ordered the burglar to halt.



"I'm ready in case that thief tries to get away!" Rose yelled out to the cop, her fists balled up.
Sometimes I wish my little girl wasn't quite so brave.


"Don't worry, everything is under control." The officer proceeded to cuff the thief.
"Wait just a sec, I'll be right back, I want to get a picture!" Rose dashed into the house and returned with the little camera I had purchased on our first visit to China. It had sat unused in a drawer for years.
"I think the newspaper might be interested in these," Rose said as she snapped away.



It will be Rose's birthday tomorrow. Max and I decided to have some private time out by the pond. "Oh, Sunny, you are so beautiful," Max was in a flirty mood. "I love you so much."He was quiet for a few minutes, then he looked at me wonderingly. "They like you, too, you know."
"Who does? "I smiled playfully.
"The ghosts who live here. They like you a lot." Max's voice was almost a whisper.
I went along with it. "Do they like you?"
"A little, not the way they like you, though. They like Rosie a lot, too."


Then Max took the conversation in a whole new direction. I was left wondering why Max thought there were ghosts here, and what possible interest they could have in me... and Rose.


Rose insisted we not have a party for for her, since she had to work late at the bookstore. She is so conscientious about her job.


My only green-haired baby is all grown up! And still as serious as ever.


"I know you didn't want a party, but I have a gift for you, Rosie." I pulled out the pendant I had worn for for all these years. "This has been in our family for many generations. I hope it will lead you to find what you seek." I used the same words my mother had spoken so many years before. I was reluctant to give it up, it had been my guide to so much happiness - our lovely farm, and my sweet Max. But I knew I had made the right choice when it glowed softly as Rose held it in her hand.
"Oh, thank you, mom, it's so beautiful! I'll treasure it always!"

2 comments:

  1. Lol I don't think I would find my husband telling me ghosts like me and my daughter as romantic as Sunny XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - she doesn't actually believe him

    ReplyDelete