Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rose - Gen 2 Ch 4

Well, I was mad at my dad the whole way home, no matter what he said. I am an adult and don't need him to babysit me! It was all soon forgotten when I received a call from France.
"Rosie, it's me, Gustave. I'm going to be in Riverview for a few weeks, doing research for a book I'm writing, and I was wondering if you know of a good place to stay."
I was so excited! "You have to stay with us, I insist!"

I was a little concerned that we would still feel the same about each other - after all, it had been so long since I'd seen him and that was only for a few days. But I needn't have worried. My heart started pounding as soon as I saw him walk up the path, and he pulled me into his arms. "Oh, Rosie, I missed you so much."


We took up right where we had left off. I am so happy! I don't think I've lost my temper once since Gustave's been here, which is some kind of record. But too soon it was our last night together.
"I wish you didn't have to go. Please stay." I held him tight.
"Your mama and papa, they wouldn't mind? I wouldn't want to overstay my welcome."
"You'll never outstay your welcome with me, love." I pulled him close. "We might have to get married at some point, though. My mom is really big on that."
"When you are ready for that, I am ready, my sweet Rosie."

So Gustave stayed. He showed my mom how to grow nectar grapes, and she thinks the world of him.
"When are you two going to get married?" My mom likes to embarrass me like that.
Gustave would just smile. "You need to ask Rosie about that."
I'm not ready to get married, and I refuse to be talked into it!


Mom is starting to slow down a bit, but I think she still looks great for her age. When Gustave isn't at the library working on his book, he's out helping her with her plants.  Since he's been here, she hasn't asked me once to learn to garden!


Gustave even gets along great with Daddy. He was a bit taken aback the first time Daddy regaled him with one of his ghost stories. But now that he's got to know him, he says Daddy reminds him of his grandfather. He believes his grandfather possessed some kind of special gift. It all sounds rather mystic to me - if it can't be explained logically, I don't understand it.


Little Judy has been stopping by after school once or twice a week to hang out with her grandpa.
"Don't tell your mom," Dad whispered conspiratorially .
"Don't worry, I won't." Judy giggled.


"I must have got my green eyes and red hair from you, Grandpa." Judy is sure a cute little girl, and smart, too! I'm so glad she doesn't take after her mom.

It's Rayne's birthday, and he is so happy that he won't have school and homework anymore.
"Now I can play my guitar and paint all day!" I almost said something about finding a real job, but I bit my tongue. No need to spoil the party with an argument. Wow, did I just say that? I think Gustave must be a good influence on me!

What did spoil the party was a fire! Everyone was running around screaming, and Ronda looked ready to faint again. What is it with these people? A fire extinguisher is a pretty simple thing to use. Rose to the rescue!

Rayne actually did get himself a job! As a - get ready for this - music fan?? Is that even a job? He says he is "making contacts" in the music industry. He wants to be a rock star someday. Dream on, little brother.

Many nights before we go to sleep, Gustave and I talk about the future. Gustave thinks the soil here is perfect for a nectary. "We would need a barn, and of course a cellar to age the nectar."
I have my plans too. "I don't know why Mom and Dad keep this old log cabin. Its not like we can't afford a nice house. But every time I bring it up, they change the subject. I would love a real house, with an office, and maybe even a nursery."
"A nursery? Rosie love, are you trying to tell me something?" Gustave grinned at me. "Maybe," I whispered with a smile.

I don't want to tell Gustave 'til I'm sure. My mom certainly thinks I'm pregnant, though. All I know is I've never been this sick in my life.


When I did tell him, he gave me a big thumbs up. A thumbs up? Really? Guys can be so weird.
"Have you made any progress with your mama about our house and nectary plans?"
"Not yet. My mom is really attached to the cabin, since my dad built it himself. I so want a proper nursery, I don't know how I can convince her."
"Hmm, Rosie love, I have an idea. What if I ask your papa to help me dismantle the logs, and then have him help me rebuild them into a combination barn and nectary? That way all his hard work will not be forgotten, which is what your mama is afraid of, I think."
I threw my arms around him. "Oh Gustave, that is a wonderful idea! I think it may work!"


I'm always so tired lately, most nights I just fall right asleep. But we still find time to talk about our plans.
"Did you ask Daddy?" I yawned sleepily, my eyes mostly shut.
"I did, love, and he agreed. He wants the best for his new grandchild."
"Mom thinks we should get married, for the baby's sake. What do you think?"
"I think it's a great idea, but what matters is what you think, love."
"Let's do it then," I murmured, as we drifted off to sleep.

My delivery date is getting closer, and still no progress on the whole rebuilding plan. Mom is still stalling, even though Daddy is willing. She cornered me in the bedroom today.
"Rose, you know I don't like to interfere, but have you even thought about your wedding plans?"
Suddenly I saw a way to get my house. "I have thought about them a little, but I'm waiting for Daddy and Gustave to finish their rebuilding plans. Do you think you could hurry them up?"
I finally got her to agree, that the rebuilding would start the morning after the wedding. She wants a nice yard with no constuction for the party. I couldn't care less about the yard, but mom loves her parties.


I don't like fancy parties, and besides, I'm much to big right now to fit in a formal dress. So I wore a little sundress, and we got married by the pond. Daddy decorated with my favorite white roses.


We only invited close family, which meant Ronda too, but oh well. She hasn't been too bad lately, and she just had another baby, so maybe I should try to mend fences so the cousins can be friends.  Judy has grown to be a teenager, and has done something  weird to her hair.


"Do you feel that, Gustave? I think the baby is happy, too."


I tried my best to dance to Rayne's music, but I only lasted through one song. We went to bed early, but I had a hard time going to sleep. Construction begins tomorrow!


True to their word, Daddy and Gustave built a beautiful barn, using the bathroom stones for a foundation, and the cabin's logs for the walls. I paid the contruction workers for the house overtime, out of my photography money, and they promised to finish before the baby arrives.


We all worked to move the garden. There is a place for my mom's plants, and another for Gustave's nectar grapes.


We designed a room for Mom and Daddy with a private patio, and an archway into their bedroom, so it will still be kind of like sleeping outside.

Rayne appropriated the loft above the barn, saying it is perfect for his studio.


The finishing touches were being applied as I went into labor. Gustave was in a panic. We rushed to the hospital - I can't believe my mom did home births, doesn't she realize all the things that could go wrong?
And here we are, on the way home with baby Marigold.


As we walked into the door of our new home with our new baby girl, I couldn't stop thinking about what my mom had said when she gave me her pendant. I wondered if it was glowing now. I didn't look though, I don't believe in such things.

2 comments:

  1. When I did tell him, he gave me a big thumbs up. A thumbs up?

    XD

    Marigold is a gorgeous name! Great job on the new house :)

    ReplyDelete