Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rose - Gen 2 Ch 2

Upon arriving in Champs Les Sims, I headed straight for the market, intent on capturing some local flavor on film.


I snapped a few photos, then decided to browse the shops - I think new clothes are in order! This is Jules, one of the local merchants. He was extremely helpful when I asked him for advice on photography sites in the area, and suggested an ancient burial mound just outside the village.


I checked into my room at the nectary, and changed into my new outfit. I love my new look - I've noticed several locals who favor a similar fashion, so I think I'll fit right in. Except for my hair, of course. So far no one has mentioned it; I'm sure they are just being polite.


I'm off to the burial ground with my list from Jules in hand - he had jotted down photo subjects he thought would sell. This place is so quiet, it gives me chills. I know it's ancient, but it 'feels' old, too. I wonder if this feeling is what my mom means, when she talks about our farm.


I checked my list. Hmmm, pressure plate - check, statue - check, gravestone - check.
Bugs! Mom had warned me about the giant bugs she found in a tomb in China, but I wonder what all the fuss was about. If you brush them off, they just run away, nothing scary here.


I think I have enough tomb photos for now, so I headed to the cafe to sample the local food. Jules had suggested I try the froglegs. It actually tastes much better than it sounds!


I ran into Jules again in the marketplace. "Thanks for much for the photography advice. And the cafe advice! But where do the frogs come from? I've never seen them in Riverview."
"Oh, the frogs are a local specialty. We fish them out of the river here."
I discovered that Jules likes to fish, just like my dad. We ended up talking for hours. I found myself wondering what he would look like without his glasses...

I'm not sure how it happened, I don't even remember what he said to tick me off. I think we were discussing our common interest in nature, and he may have mentioned gardening.
Anyway, my temper got the best of me yet again, and Jules took off, upset.

Maybe a bottle of nectar will help my mood. I asked the proprieter for guidance.
"I suggest a bottle from this collection." She pointed to a rack near the entry.


I studied the rack, feeling slightly lost.
"Excuse me, madmoiselle, you look as if you could use some help. My name is Gustave."
"Hello, uh.. Gustave." I stumbled a bit over the unfamiliar name. "I am trying to decide on a bottle of nectar, but I must admit I don't know what to look for at all. Oh, and I'm Rose." I smiled at him.

He plucked a bottle from the shelf. "I recommend this vintage, a good blend for beginners. It is young and quite sweet." He winked at me, "Perhaps a little like yourself, madmoiselle Rosie." I wasn't sure quite how to respond to that. Were all Frenchmen so forward? So I just laughed agreeably.
He laughed, too, and offered, "I would be honored if you would agree to share a bottle with me."


We ened up sharing several bottles. I discovered he is a photographer like I am! And he claims to know more about nectar making then anyone else in town.
"That sounds facinating, " I enthused. "Is it hard to learn?"
"I could teach you the basics, if you wish. But not today, we must gather the ingredients first. Would you care to accompany me to my home? I have a small garden where I cultivate several types of nectar grapes."

Gustave is really proud of his garden. He explained that the only way to make a great bottle of nectar is to grow the grapes yourself. I sighed inwardly. Why is it that every man I am the least bit attracted to has to be interested in gardening?

"Your garden is lovely." I was determined not to blow it this time.
"Ah, but not nearly as lovely as you are, Rosie."

We kissed for the first time as a gentle breeze wafted off the French hills.
"The wind is blowing your beautiful hair," Gustave breathed softly as he brushed the hair from my eyes. "Come inside with me."

"It's getting dark, and it's a long way back to your hotel. Stay with me tonight, Rosie?"
We spent the rest of my time in France together.


Gustave kept his promise to teach me nectar making. This isn't so bad! I'ts actually kind of fun.


Gustave laughed. "It's all part of the process." I didn't think it was quite so fun anymore, but I managed to bite my tongue.




Now this part of the procedure I understand. Push this button, pull that lever, and follow the steps in a logical order. Gustave says my first try wasn't too bad!

Our last night together came all too soon.

"Bonjour, Rosie, I am going to miss you so much."
I hugged him tight and with tears in my eyes hurried off to catch my plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment