Friday, July 2, 2010

Rose - Gen 2 Ch 10

Mason lost no time in asking Alyse to marry him. She agreed immediately. things have settled down since she arrived; Mason hasn't gotten in any  more trouble in town.


He even got a job.
"Mom, good news! My friend Daniella - you remember, the tattoo artist - got me a job working with her brother at the warehouse. I'll be... ah... loading trucks."
"Are you sure that's a good idea, " I worried. "I've heard rumors of shady dealings going on at that place."
"Oh, stop worrying, those are just rumors. I swear this is legit."


The day of the wedding, and I was in the bathroom getting ready. As usual, I took off my pendant and laid it on the edge of the sink before I stepped into the shower. Suddenly Gustave called me from the bedroom.
"What do you think I should wear, Rosie?"


When I returned to get my pendant, it was gone! I searched everywhere, but it was nowhere to be found. I was devastated. I asked everyone to keep their eyes peeled for it, but no one had seen it.


I was so distracted, I could hardly concentrate on the ceremony. Everyone said it was beautiful, though.

Margi refused to wear a dress, as usual. She insisted on wearing that awful burger shirt instead.
"I really don't like parties, Mama. It always feels like people are whispering about me behind my back."
"Well, it's your brother's wedding, you have to come."
"Okay, can James come then? Maybe it will be bearable if he is there."


Poor James looks as uncomfortable as Margi does. I think he only showed up because she asked him.



Still thinking about the missing pendant, I totally forgot to keep an eye on Margi and James.


 I shot them a dirty look. I've lectured them plenty of times on appropriate hugging between cousins. Gustave thinks it's harmless, that no one in his home village would think twice about it, but I don't like it. 


In the weeks following the wedding, Alyse proved herself to be a welcome addition to our family. She loves to help out around the house. In fact, her standard of cleanliness is way above mine, and she has taken it upon herself to keep the house spotless. But even a total spring cleaning didn't turn up the missing pendant.


One day, after she had gone into Margi's room to make her bed, I discovered Alyse on the floor, playing with Margi's old doll house.
"Oh, Mama Rose, you startled me! I didn't see you there."
She went on the explain how much she loved children, and how she just couldn't resist playing with the dollhouse. "I can hardly wait to have a baby of my own," she admitted to me.


So none of us were surprised when Mason and Alyse announced they were expecting.

"Oh, and Mama Rose, I have wonderful news! Look what I found!"

She held out her hand, and there was my missing pendant! I looked at her is surprise.
"Where... how.. oh my... where did you find it?"

"Oh, Mama Rose, I don't know what to think. I found it in the pocket of Mason's pants when I was doing the wash. I... I've been finding other things in our room, too. Odd things, like a flowerpot that looks like the one that used to be on the neighbor's porch. And a garden light just like the ones across the street. He swears he doesn't know how your pendant got in his pocket, and as for the rest... all he'll say is 'Don't worry, everything's fine'."
I was so grateful to have my pendant back, all I could say was "Thank you", over and over. The rest didn't even register until much later.


It's not long until Margi's graduation, and today I was in my study, checking out baby items online, when I heard animated whispers coming from the hallway.
"Everything's gonna be fine, Margi, you'll see. It's only a few more weeks until we graduate."
"How can you be so sure, James? I don't think I can take it any more."


"Shh, I promise, you just have to trust me, okay?"
I decided it was time to make my presence known.
"Hey you two, what's wrong?" I called.


"Oh, uh... Margi's just worried about exams, right Margi?" James called back.
"I'll see you tomorrow in art class, okay Margi? Why don't you work on your sculpture for a while, you know that always makes you feel better."


I think James knows I don't approve of how close he and Margi have gotten, since he's made himself scarce. And Margi's been spending all her time working on her sculpture. It's her final art class project, so she needs to get it done before she graduates.



I asked Margi about a party for her graduation, but she said the only person she wants to come is James. So James it is.
"Just no hugging!" I warned.
 Her sculpture turned out beautifully, and earned her an A+. We are all so proud of her.

She and James are both so excited. James announced that he has gotten a job offer from  Riverview Builders, the local architect firm, and will start on Monday.

I pulled my grown-up baby into a hug, then pulled out the pendant.
"Happy Birthday, sweetie. This is for you. It's been in our family for generations. It is supposed to lead you to what you desire."
I still am not sure about the whole magical thing with this pendant, but maybe Margi can figure it out. Although it did seem to glow as a placed it in her hand. Probably my imagination, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment