Monday, July 19, 2010

Marguerite - Gen 3 Ch 2

James squeezed my hand and told me not to worry, but I was so nervous I was shaking. Papa was watching TV when we returned from the park.
"Papa, uh.. wegotmarriedtonight.." I just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible, so I blurted it out all in one breath.


He didn't seem surprised at all! He just smiled at us and pulled me into one of his giant bear hugs.
"It's about time, you two! And don't worry about your mom, sweetheart, I think I've managed to convince her of the inevitable."


Well, no matter what papa said, mom still wasn't pleased.  but papa was standing right there, and gave her one of his "looks", so she didn't really say anything except "I see. Well, I guess I am not surprised."
I tried to think of something to say, and remembered the pendant.
"The pendant, mom.. it glowed tonight," I exclaimed softly.


I wasn't sure if that would mean anything to my logical concrete thinking mom, but it was worth a try. And when she heard it , her face softened briefly, and I knew everything would be okay.



One evening, not too long after that magical night, I was watching TV with Elyse while we played with the twins, when I had to bolt to the bathroom.. again.  Elyse thinks I'm pregnant. I hope so! I want lots of kids! But that night something happened that would change all our lives forever.


When I returned from the bathroom, Elyse looked to be in shock. The fear in her eyes was catching, and I started to freak out.
"OMG Ely, what happened, what's wrong? You look like you saw a ghost! Did you see a ghost?"
Mom and papa heard the commotion and came running, and calmed us both down, and Elyse managed to get her story out.



She had received a call from the Riverview Police Station. Mason was in jail! The police had raided that warehouse he works at and had arrested everyone there for possession of stolen property.


Papa went down to the police station to see if there was anything he could do, but the evidence was overwhelming. Everyone was shocked, but not me. Some of my earliest memories were of him stealing candy from me, and sneaking up and scaring me whenever he thought no one was watching. So I guess he hasn't changed a bit.


The twins grew up while Mason was in jail. I feel bad for Elyse, but I for one am glad he's not here to torment me for a while.


Elyse started throwing up the day after that fateful night, and sure enough, she is expecting again.

We have gotten really close, and she confided to me that if she would have known Mason better before she left France, she never would have married him.
"But now, Margi, what am I to do? With two little girls and another on the way. I will just have to make the best of things, no? And it is wonderful that you are expecting too. Somehow that makes it all easier."

James is so excited about the baby. The first thing he does when he gets home from work each day is have a little chat with my tummy.

When Mason was released from jail it was decided by all concerned that it would be best if Mason and Elyse and the twins moved to their own place. I was sad to see Elyse go, but they are not too far away, and I promised to come visit. 

And one day not too long after, we welcomed little Lily into the world. James looked so nervous on the way home from the hospital.

He got over that very soon, though, and we both fell in live with our little Lily. I could spend hours holding my beautiful baby girl, and often I did!


Mom is a huge help. She and papa have aged so much thoughout the whole Mason episode, little Lily seems to take her mind off things for a while.


I go to see Elyse whenever I can. She had an adorable little boy they named Raymond. I don't ask about Mason often, but I guess he is still working at that warehouse, she can't convince him to find another line of work. It seems they are doing well, though, gauging by their new house, and he hasn't been back in jail.


Elyse is expecting again. I am trying to be excited for her, but it's hard. James and I have been trying to get pregnant for a long time now, and so far it's been disappointment after disappointment.


It's time for Lily's birthday, and as I held her and snuggled her one last time, all I could think of was "Will I ever be able to hold a baby of my own again? Lily starts school tomorrow, and I want another baby so bad."

But I put on my happy face, and we all clapped and cheered.
"Happy Birthday, Lily!"

No comments:

Post a Comment