Thursday, April 14, 2011

Brook - Gen 6 Ch 5

There. Saturday afternoon, and the last miner is finished. Now I just need to deliver them to the military base and I can cross this contract off my list. Then it's time for Fiery's birthday party tonight.


I walked past Brann on my way to the garage. Working out again, I see. He's preparing for a role in an up-coming mini-series, as the 'bad guy', he says. I have a hard time imagining him as the bad guy; I can't wait to see it.

Fiery's party went off without a hitch that evening. The family was all there, plus her new boyfriend, Derrick Lothario.

I was pleased when she announced she was planning to pursue a career in business - I had worried that Uncle Mel might have influenced her to help out in his 'shipping' business.


Before the cake was even cut, those two were going at it - I don't blame her, they seem to have a lot in common, and that Derrick is one hot dude.  

It's several weeks after Fiery's party, and Brann and I are headed out to promote his new show. Actually, Brann is doing the promoting; I am just along for the ride, and to scare away any boogie-men that might be hiding in the dark.
"Thanks for coming with me. It sure is dark out here. Where are the street lights? It doesn't look like a very safe area. Are you sure we're going the right way?" Brann was peering out the window nervously, and I could hear the edge of fear in his voice.
"Don't worry, we're almost there. I've been to this place before. It's much better on the inside, believe me."

"Hmm, yeah, this looks like the place. There's Abby over there with the camera. She's the one doing the story. I guess I'd better get started."
He grimaced slightly as he walked through the crowd. He hates crowds. Sometimes I wonder why Brann got into acting in the first place, but he says all his fears simply melt away when the camera is on, and he 'becomes' his character.

"Here, hold this drink and smile. Okay, next how about a flex pose - like this," the reporter continued.
I wandered over to the bar and sat down. I ordered a drink and waited, lost in thought, my mind returning my current project. My grandmother's time machine still eluded me. There just had to be a way to repair it.


My reverie was broken by a strangled yelp at my side. I turned to see Brann staring straight ahead, eyes wide with fear.
"D-d-don't look now, Brook, but there is a vampire behind me."

I turned and frowned at the sight before me. Not only my uncle, but Fiery and Derrick were here as well. What are they planning, I wonder?


"Hmmm, that's just my Uncle Mel. Remember I told you about him? He's safe enough, I think. "
"If you say so.."
"I should go talk to them. Sit tight, I'll be right back." I took a big gulp of my drink and stood up.
"Not to worry, I'm glued to this stool. I'm not about to go anywhere without you."



I cleared my throat as I approached the excited little trio. I'm not very good at calling people out, but I was worried about Fiery.
"Uh, Uncle Mel, good to see you again. Fiery, could I talk you a minute? Alone?"


"Listen, Sis, I know you're all grown up now, and you don't have to take my advice, but I feel compelled to warn you. I don't think you want to get involved in any schemes with Uncle Mel. I think it will only lead to trouble down the road."


"You are right about one thing, I don't have to take your advice, and I am not going to. Uncle Mel is getting me a job at the business complex in Bridgeport, and Derrick is going to work in his shipping business.
"Daddy was right about you. Your good nature just holds you back. Well, I'm not going to be held back by you or anyone else."

"That did not go well," I sighed as I returned to my seat beside Brann.
I was met only with a strangled intake of breath from beside me.

I know Uncle Mel just thought he was being polite, but Brann was having none of it.
"You're Brann, right? Brook's told me a lot about you. Mind if I sit here?"
"Unghh, .. sure..go ahead.. I'll just move..."
"No need to move, there's plenty of room."
"Oh.. uh.. I guess.. Excuse me..just going to..get up now.."

I shrugged apologetically at Uncle Mel from across the bar as Brann slid into the seat on the other side of me. He finished his drink in about two gulps, then nudged me slightly with his shoulder.
"I'm done with the interview, had the required drink at the bar. Let's get out of here. Please?"



It wasn't long before Hyacinth's birthday arrived. 
"Blow out your candles, Cindy! Like this."

We are so proud of our little girl. Mom especially is thrilled that she seems to have inherited her Grandma's talent for art and music. Cindy could hardly wait for the cake stuff to be over so she could play with her cousin Louis.



"Take Louis outside to play, why don't you, Cindy. You're going to knock something over playing tag in the house!"
I watched in amusement as the cousins raced out the door, then turned to Firebloom.

"Thanks for staying for Cindy's birthday. Are you still intent on leaving for Bridgeport, Sis? I still don't think it's a good idea. You know we'll all miss you."
"It's the chance of a lifetime, don't you see? I have to grab it while I can. No way you are ever talking me out of it."


"Bye then. Take care."
"You too, big bro."

Not long after, Mom left us to join Dad. It was a bittersweet goodbye, as we all were so aware of how much she missed Dad. I think Cindy put it best.
"Gramma doesn't want us to be too sad, because she is so happy to be with Grampa again."


2 comments:

  1. Ah. Lovely family. I'll look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making so many comments XD I love Firebloom's hair, happen to know it?

    ReplyDelete