Friday, April 1, 2011

Brook - Gen 6 Ch 3

*sigh* 3 a.m.
Poor little Hyacinth is screaming and it appears I'm the only one who hears her - again. Not that I mind, really. She is the sweetest little thing.
"Awww, little one! What's the matter, sweetie? Are you hungry? Come here, let's go find your mommy," I cooed softly.


A quick peek into Heather's room showed her bed empty and made up. I soon determined that she never came home last night. It's not unusual for her to disappear for hours to places unknown, but it's not like her to stay out all night.



I headed downstairs to warm up a bottle. Hyacinth had calmed immediately as soon as I had picked her up, and now was grabbing my finger with her tiny hand while we watched the bottle go 'round and 'round in the microwave. It wasn't long before I had her fed and changed, and she was back asleep.

I, on the other hand, lay awake for a long time after, worrying about Heather. I finally decided to just get up when Brann's alarm clock blared, at the crack of dawn as usual. Heather still wasn't back,so I got busy on the phone. I thought maybe she had gone to join Jonathan on his tour in France, but Jonathan hadn't heard from her. In fact, his tour was almost over, and he was heading back home soon. I spent the next few hours calling everyone I could possibly think of, until I finally hit pay dirt.


"I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I found Heather. Mathilde says she arrived in Champs Les Sims this afternoon."
I paused. I knew Brann wasn't going to like what I had to say next.
 "The bad news is I need leave as soon as possible to try and talk to her. Mathilde says she has moved into the old nectary and is acting really strange. Mom and dad are getting way to old to handle something like this, so it's gotta be me. I leave early tomorrow morning."



"Wait, wait, not so fast, what if... what if want to come with you?"
"I'm so sorry, I can't wait. I have to leave tomorrow."
"No, no... I mean I what if I come with you tomorrow?"
"I would love it, but what about your job? I thought you were starting to shoot a series for that pilot you did?"
He shrugged dismissively. "It got cancelled. I don't have a job at this moment."
"Aw, Brann, I'm sorry."
"Don't be. It would have been a terrible show; the script was atrocious. So, it's settled then. I'm coming with you." 


First stop in Champs Les Sims was at Mathilde's.
"So good to see you again, sis. Now what's going on with Heather? You said she was acting strange? Stranger than usual?"
"Oui, Brook. There have always been tales of the old nectary, of ghosts - to scare children with. Many of the old timers will not go near the place. But since our Papa acquired the mansion, the stories have died down. Now the villagers are saying that Heather has brought them back - the ghosts that is. Come, see for yourself, she is there now."



It was surprisingly dark and chilly in the old mansion, compared to the sunny weather outside. I shivered a little. I guess Brann felt it too, as he immediately excused himself to wait on the porch.
"You see?" Mathilde pointed out. "She found that old dress in a chest in the barn, and refuses to take it off. And when she is not playing that bass, she is talking to an invisible someone called 'Hyacinth'."
"'Hyacinth', really? That is what she named her baby." Mathilde was right, this was a whole new level of odd, even for Heather.


"Don't even try to talk me into leaving, Brook. Daddy made me leave my friends once, and I'm not doing it again."
"What about Hyacinth? She needs you."
"And she has me now. I've been away from her for far too long." She turned and gestured at the air next to her.
"Isn't that right, Hyacinth dear?"
"Your baby Hyacinth isn't here, Heather," I continued hesitantly. "She is back home in Riverview, waiting for you."
"Hahaha.. Baby? Hyacinth isn't a baby, Brook. And I thought I already told you, that baby in Riverview isn't mine." 

I gulped and tried to come up with a new approach.
"Who is your friend, Heather? Can I meet her?"
"She is right here, silly. Of course you can meet her. This is my friend Hyacinth. She was trapped in our basement just about forever, but Daddy brought her back home here. She gave me this dress. She says it used to be hers, but she doesn't need it anymore. Isn't it gorgeous?"
"You named the baby after your friend?"
"MmHm, It's such a beautiful name, don't you think?"


"Now, why don't you just scoot on back to Riverview and leave us in peace."
At that, she began to literally push us out the door.
I had to think fast to come up with one last parting try. What if what my dad had told me was true, and Heather did have some sort of 'gift'? I had never really given much thought to ghosts, but I knew my dad and grandma believed, and my great-grandmother Margi was said to have a 'gift' as well.
"Okay, sis. but our flight back isn't for a few days yet. Why don't you discuss things with your friend Hyacinth, and we'll drop by again tomorrow to see you both?"


Brann and I headed back to the road, and the old cottage that our family had owned forever. Hopefully tomorrow Heather would be in a more receptive mood.


It was amazing to have a whole house just to ourselves. With our big family, it seemed there was always at least someone besides us at home, and so tonight we wanted to take full advantage of the solitude. Neither one of us could quite get our minds off Heather and baby Hyacinth, though.
"She's not gonna come back with us, is she, Brook?"
"I think you're right. Good thing we still have plan B. I hope I can get her to at least sign the adoption papers."

We were both quiet for a long time after that, and I thought Brann had fallen asleep. But finally he stirred, and moved closer.
"You know, I've been thinking," he whispered. "What if.."
He stopped at that point, as if searching for the right words. I know by now that 'what if' is Brann-speak for 'I want to ask you something important'.
"Tell me already," I smiled at him, as it didn't seem like he wanted to continue.



Instead of answering, he pulled me to my feet. Then he continued.
"There's been something I've been wanting to ask you for a long time, but I didn't know how. I know you've said you don't need a piece of paper to show your love and commitment. But I was thinking.. maybe now, with Hyacinth in the picture... maybe..."

I was stunned, to say the least. I had no idea Brann had been so focused on the stray remark I'd made years ago.
"That was a long time ago," I offered. "Things have changed since then."
He broke out in a dazzling smile at that.
"In that case... well... wait for it.."

"I love you. Together, always, like we promised each other the night we didn't move to Bridgeport. Marry me?"
"Yes... of course I'll marry you."

"Now we can be a real family... you me and Hyacinth."
I could only nod in agreement.


Next morning we decided to check out the crepes at the cafe in town.  
"Don't look now, Brook, but I think the paparazzi have found me," Brann sighed. "I thought I'd be able to get away from them here. Why do they care what I have for breakfast anyway?"
He glanced over at me with a grin.


"Come here. Let's give them something interesting to write about." He continued loudly," It sure will be nice to get back home to Riverview this afternoon. Big big plans there for tonight."
I could barely keep from snickering, as they copied down his every word, and raced off to publish the fake news of the big event.


We picked up Mathilde, and dropped by to see Heather in the evening.
"Hyacinth likes you. You can come in. She says I should be nice to all of you and sign your papers."
My eyes widened. How did Heather know about the papers?
Heather still didn't seem real sure about Mathilde, and kept making faces at her behind her back.

With the paparazzi busy chasing that Riverview story, we had no trouble at our small private wedding. Only Heather and Mathilde in attendance, just as we planned.

Afterward I listened while everyone else jammed. I guess that's one thing I inherited from my dad besides the hair - tone deafness.



In the morning, Heather signed the papers, just as she had promised.


Mathilde promised to take good care of Heather, and check on her often.
"Don't stay away so long this time," Mathilde wiped a small tear away. "I'll miss you."
"We'll try not to. We'll bring baby Hyacinth to visit as soon as she is old enough."
"Bye!"

No comments:

Post a Comment