Thursday, April 7, 2011

Brook - Gen 6 Ch 4

Since we returned from France, Dad has stopped bugging me about you-know-what. I think that he hopes Hyacinth will satisfy in the heir department, but I am not so sure. I don't mention that to him, though. He is really feeling his years, and I'm just happy to see him happy. He spends every spare moment in the nursery.

There is one more thing I want to do for my dad, before it is too late. I still remember how sad he was, talking about how he missed his brother.
"You sure you'll be okay by yourself?"
"Sure as sure. I so got this.  Cindy and I will be fine. You take your dad have have a good time. I think he'll like your surprise."
"Mom will be home from her orchestra rehearsal around midnight, and Fiery should be home before that from her boyfriend's."
I kissed Hyacinth on the side of her forehead, and went to fetch my dad.

I checked the address again as we pulled up to a grungy old building in a rough area of town. Yup, this was the place my Uncle Mel had specified. I had my doubts and was about to turn back, but was stopped by my dad's reaction.
"Oh wow, I haven't been to this place in decades! How did you find it? It's not much on the outside, but wait 'til you see inside."


"What the..? Mel?? What are you doing here?"
"Heh heh. Surprise! Brook arranged it. Good to see you again, Bro."
I tried not to stare, but could hardly help myself. I'd never seen a vampire before, and it was pretty unnerving, to say the least. Didn't seem to phase my dad at all, though.

"Good to see you again, too, Mel. You look like you haven't aged a day. Heh."


"Just like old times, eh Mel? ...Any regrets?"
"Nope, ... you?"
My dad shook his head emphatically.
"No regrets."
Feeling a little awkward, I wandered over to the bar.

Suddenly I was stopped in my tracks by a glimpse of familiar ginger hair flashing in the strobe light.

Oh no. What was Fiery doing here? I had kept my promise to my dad, and not told anyone but Brann about our plans for tonight.
"Ohhh, Daddy! Hii! I was on my way home and saw your car out front. And who is your friend! Hi there, I'm Firebloom!"
That's my sister, never at a loss for words.
"Mel, meet my daughter. Fiery, this is your Uncle Mel."

I can't believe my dad isn't concerned at all by this situation. I, on the other hand, don't see how anything good can come of it.
"Uh, Fiery, shouldn't you be heading home? It's getting late."
As usual, she didn't listen, even going so far as to pretend she hadn't even heard me.
"Nice to meet you, Uncle Mel. My mom told me you were dead. Why would she do that? You don't look dead to me. Hahaha."
"Well, actually..." Uncle Mel was interrupted at that point by a commotion at the entrance.


"Ren Greenbow! What is going on here?"
We all turned at the angry sound of my mom's voice, yelling from the doorway over the piano music. Uh oh, like I said, this is not going to turn out well, and it's all my fault.  What was I thinking? I just wanted to make my dad happy, but I should have known better. 


My gaze darted from one pair to the other, trying to follow both conversations at once and utterly failing.
"... practice got out early.. saw your car out front...you... our daughter... that 'thing'.... how could you?"
My dad couldn't get a word in edgewise. I then turned my attention toward Fiery. Who knew what Uncle Mel might try to convince her of?
"...quite the family reunion, eh?... your mom is...."
"....isn't she though? .... poor daddy ... hehehehe"


Eventually everyone turned their attention to mom and dad, who were still going at it.
"I don't understand the big deal, Maureen. This might be the last time I see my brother... ever. No one lied to you. We decided to go out after you'd already left for rehearsal. Can't you just let bygones be bygones for once?"
I decided maybe it was time for me to intervene on my dad's behalf.


"Please don't be mad at dad," I begged. "This is all my fault. I knew how much he missed his brother, and I wanted to do something about it. In retrospect, I can see it was wrong, but it wasn't his fault."
She sniffled a little, and I thought for a moment she would bring her wrath to bear on me, now. But my words seemed to calm her, and she only nodded at me.
"Maybe you are right, Brook. Maybe I am being too hard on him. I guess a few hours spent with his brother won't kill me."


My dad was grateful. "I don't know how you do it, son. You just seem to have a way with your mother," he grinned. "You know, I used to worry about you, but not so much anymore. I think maybe that crazy pendant knew what it was doing after all."
It wasn't much of an accolade, but coming from my dad, it meant a lot to me.

Meanwhile, Mom and Uncle Mel were glaring warily at each other. Finally my uncle broke the ice.
"Uhh... want to see some baby pictures? This is my daughter, Talia"


****************************
*******************************

My mom was immediately smitten.
"Oh, my! She is adorable. And such gorgeous long hair! I didn't know.. people like..you.. could even have children."
"Oh, yes, those parts still work, heh heh."


As our evening wound down, I kept catching Fiery eying Uncle Mel with a calculating expression on her face. It's a good thing he is going back to Bridgeport tonight, or I might be worried.

Not long after that night, Dad's time arrived while he was engaged in his favorite activity - playing with Hyacinth. I could hear her screaming all the way downstairs, and came running, taking two steps at a time up the staircase.


"Grampa! Grampa!"

I arrived in time to see him gesture lovingly at little Cindy, before he was completely gone. He seemed to be saying something to her, but I heard only silence.


I picked her up to comfort her, but in the end it was she who did the comforting.
"Grampa bye bye."
"Yes, Love, Grampa's gone bye bye."
"Grampa wuv daddy." She patted my chest gently with her little hand.
"Grampa said he loves me?" I asked in wonder.
Cindy nodded vigorously, obviously pleased with her success at communicating. I hugged her tightly, tears dripping slowly from the corners of my eyes.


Mom was distraught.
"You know your dad and I had our differences at times, and everyone knows he was far from perfect, but I loved him so, Brook. How I am going to go on without him?"
I tried to comfort her, to no avail. Maybe a change of scenery will help.
"I know. Let's go visit Colt and Jia. It'll be good for you to get out of the house, mom. And you haven't seen their newest addition yet, have you?"


"I don't know how you do it, Jia. Two toddlers and a brand new baby? Mom had enough trouble having me and Heather close together after Colt started school. Isn't that right, mom?"
"Mmmm," Mom replied absently as she wandered off.  I was hoping her newest grandchild would begin to engage her interest, but so far, no deal.



"Hey, big Bro. I'm really worried about mom. It's been months and she still seems so... lost."
"Sometimes these things just take time. Everyone grieves at their own pace. And look, she does seem to be enjoying the kids right now."


It was true.
"Peek-a-boo, Gramma!"
I watched as Shawn peeked out of the toy box in the corner of the living room.
"Peek-a-boo, Shawnie!"
Mom had an actual genuine smile on her face as she answered. Who could resist those three cuties playing together?


"Thanks, Bro. It looks like things are finally starting to look up. Hey, it's Fiery's birthday next week. You should stop by for some cake."
"Will do. Sounds like fun. See you then!"

1 comment:

  1. It seems Fiery has a plan. Cute screenshot of all the toddlers together.

    ReplyDelete