Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ren - Gen 5 Ch 8


I awoke the next morning on the living room couch, with no recollection of how I had gotten there. The last thing I remembered was.... the hot tub? Panicked, I stumbled to the bathroom mirror. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Getting so juiced I pass out, here of all places. After a careful search, I don't see any marks. I sighed in relief.

The house was so quiet; I guess Mel and El were sleeping. I hadn't eaten anything since before I arrived yesterday, so I headed to the kitchen to find something for breakfast. Ugh, nothing in the fridge but two cases of plasma juice.

Ah, there's a lonely, dusty can of soup way back in the corner of the cupboard.  Not the best breakfast, but better than going out with this pounding headache.

Maybe a soak in the hot tub will help this blinding headache. I heard footsteps behind me and started to sit up.
"Just the maid, sir. No need to get up."
I relaxed again, half falling asleep.

I was startled awake by a gentle splash beside me. It was the maid.
"You look like you could use a massage," she smiled.

"Mmm, that sounds wonderful. What's your name?"
"Delicia."
"Pretty name. I'm Ren."
"I know, you're brother told me you were coming, and  I should treat you well," she smiled softly.

My headache was definitely receding, due to Delicia's expert ministrations, among other things, when suddenly we were both startled by a loud 'crack' behind us.
"Don't mind me, you two," Mel laughed uproariously.

"Geez, Mel, You coulda said something when you came in."
"Hahaha! What's the fun in that?" He waggled his eyebrows at me. "El told me about last night. You're gonna get quite the hot tub rep if you keep this up." He laughed again, even harder than before. I just glared at him.
"Where's my clothes?"
He doubled over in laughter and gave me a fake innocent shrug.
"Maid musta cleaned 'em up."
"Yeah, right," I muttered sarcastically.


I finally found my clothes, stuffed into the bottom of the hamper. Just in time, as it was late afternoon, and Elvira was awake now.
"You have a map you want me to look at?"
 She was all business - not a word about last night, which is fine by me.


I taped the copy I had brought with me to the wall and watched as she studied it.
"See, this is a map of Champs Les Sims."
I didn't see, and said so. It looks nothing like the town I know.
"Well, of course it doesn't look this way now. This is what it was when I was a little girl and visited there with my family. See, here is the castle bluff, and the river meanders below, lined by fishing huts. And here, where the river widens," she pointed to an island marked with a prominent X, "is the old gypsy camp."


That was all the information she could give me, but I think it's enough, so I took my leave.  How old must she be, to recognise that map? Part of me is a little jealous, I think, of the power those two wield, but the power I seek is different in nature - the continuation of my family legacy.

And so my search brings me back to France, this time with family in tow.  We have plenty of vacation time to relax a little, before I begin my search for the site of the gypsy camp. That just has to be where those urns belong.

Colt could hardly wait to break out his brushes and paint the views from the balcony.


I showed Brook and Heather how to catch frogs.
"I'm not eating any, though!" Heather was adamant about that. I'm not surprised, as she normally survives on mac and cheese and PBJ's and refuses to eat meat of any kind.

Maureen made a bee-line for the hot tub I had installed down next to the old nectar-making building. Suddenly I had an idea. I gave the kids some spending money and sent all three of them down to the market for the afternoon.

"Hey babe, I have a great idea. The kids are gone, let's go skinny dipping!"
"Are you sure, love? Taking our swim suits off outside, here?"
"Come on, it'll be fun. No one's within miles."
It took a bit of convincing, but it was definitely a lot of fun. Little did I know that my idyllic little world was about to come crashing down around me.



Next day we all headed out the the Nectary. We were all enjoying the small cups of nectar set out for tasting, when Heather called out in surprise.
"Look, daddy! That girl looks just like Brook!"

I turned around, and stared in shock at the sight before me.


Of course, I knew there was the possibility of running into Brigitte sometime during our stay, but I figured our friendship would be easy to justify. The little girl by her side would not so easily be explained away.
"Ren! Over here! So good to see you again." She turned to the little green-haired girl.
"Mathilde! Your papa's come to visit!"


As if in a dream, I watched Maureen approach with a forced smile plastered on her face.

I think I need a glass of nectar, or maybe three... or four.

Maureen motioned Heather over.
"Why don't you go outside and play with Mathilde while I speak with your father," I heard her say, her voice tight with stress.

Fortunately, being kids, they were blissfully unaware, and were excited to have a new playmate.

I could see the storm approaching from the corner of my eye. I downed one last gulp of nectar and turned to face the music.
"All right, mister. Start talking. This better be good. Tell me why I shouldn't just pack up and leave you right now."

2 comments:

  1. He has gotten caught in an unpleasant situation, I hope they can work through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this blog via Seaweedy. I'm catching up with the gen 5 and should reach gen 6 soon!

    ReplyDelete