Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ren - Gen 5 Ch 4

I worried constantly about my problem house guest, but Mel kept his word, and I never saw his friend unless I went looking for her. Maureen was thankfully oblivious, as I blew off my continuous stress as due to an especially difficult client. 

"I'm way too stressed for a big party, sweetheart. Let's just get a cake for Colt and do a little family thing." 

"Happy Birthday, Colt!"


Mel is in a odd mood today. Maybe hitting the bar early? He spent a lot of time waving his fork around and picking at his cake without actually eating any.

Even Colt noticed.
"Are you okay, Uncle Mel? Don't you like your cake?"
"Huh? Oh... uh.. ya... I'm not feeling too well... gonna just go lie down for a while.."
He wandered off in a daze.

I followed Mel downstairs to check on him - he really didn't look good at all. Elvira blocked my entrance into the bedroom.
"Mel is fine. I suggest you leave us..now." The glare she gave me made it obvious that her request was not a suggestion. I backed down.
"If you need anything, let me know," I called out as Elvira shut the door in my face.


I returned upstairs and slipped into bed beside Maureen, my heart still pounding, but there was no way I could sleep. Maybe a hot shower will relax me. I stood under the steaming stream of water until it gradually grew lukewarm, then turned icy cold.

 I had just stepped out when the sound of my phone on the bathroom counter made me jump a foot in the air. It was a text from Mel.
"im fine come dwnstairs"

"Good of you to join us, bro."
I guess I should have been shocked, but I wasn't. I had felt this coming for a long time now. Mel's obsession with power had finally consumed him, and Elvira made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

"Our business in this hick town is finished, we are off to Bridgeport. I just wanted to say 'bye, it's been fun, bro."
I nodded, speechless, staring at the change in him. He just laughed.
"This power, bro... so exhilarating. You can have it too if you want it. What do you say?"

Wild thoughts swirled in my head as I continued to stare at him. He was right, I had felt that power. What would that be like, to be able to read minds, compel emotions, live forever..so tempting.. but would it really be living? To give up the sun, give up Maureen, and Colt? I reflexively reach up to finger my pendant.
"Well? Come on, bro... I don't have all day... err night."
I shook my head slowly. "No thanks, Mel. I just can't do it."

I received support from an unexpected source.
"Leave him be, Mel. He is not suitable, I assure you."
Then she turned back to examining the ancient maps on the wall, frowning in puzzlement.
"Where did you get these maps of ancient France?"
"Ancient France? Are you sure?" I squeaked, my throat still tight from my previous conversation.
But we were interrupted by Mel gesturing impatiently from the doorway.
"We need to get going if we want to reach Bridgeport before dawn."
And just like that, they were gone.
=========================================

MEL'S POV

It was a day just like any other day. I arrived home from work, and El sneaked in a short while later. I pulled her into a tight embrace, expecting to feel the familiar sharp pain from her bite on my neck, and the intense euphoria that inevitably followed as she drank. Quite addicting.

But tonight she pushed me away.
"No, my love - tonight I have something special planned."
I glanced at her sharply. Could she be offering what I've been asking for years now? Whenever I ask to be turned, the answer is always the same - 'Be patient my love, I need your eyes and ears still, during the daylight hours.'  It's hard to be patient with all that power waiting for me, just out of reach.


I decided not to risk a futile argument again, and went with a bland," Oh really? What do you have in mind?"
My heart began to beat with excitement as she replied,"It is time, love - we are needed in Bridgeport. But first you must join me in darkness. That is, if you are still willing."


Was I still willing? Is she kidding? This is the moment I've been waiting for since the day met her. I still remember that moment, the night before Ren's wedding. I hardly recall the wedding party, my head was so full of thoughts of her that night.
"Do it!" I was on edge from anticipation.


She pulled me close then.

Instead of euphoria, I felt suddenly faint.

"I don't feel any different - just super tired."
"Silly Mel, it's not an instant transformation, be patient. Now, come and rest."
I groaned. I hate being patient.

I slept the rest of the night, and on into the next day. I was rudely awakened by a sharp knock on my bedroom door. It was Ren.
"Hey Mel, wake up! It's almost time for Colt's birthday party."

I stumbled up the stairs, still feeling like I was suffering from a massive hangover. I tried to eat the cake, but it tasted like dust in my mouth. Just thinking about eating it was making me nauseous, and I escaped back downstairs as soon as I could.

I was relieved to see El waiting for me. She pulled me into her arms and held me close as I felt increasingly dizzy. The room dissolved in blackness around me as I felt my whole body explode in intense pain. Is this what death feels like?

Yes! I reached out with my mind.. yes, there is Maureen asleep upstairs, and Colt so excited about his new bed, and Ren still awake. Such power! I flexed my bicep... strength beyond imagining, all mine.

Overcome with a sudden desire for the ravishing creature that had given me this priceless gift, I roughly pulled her close. She dug her nails into my back as she whispered in my ear.
"Don't even think of double-crossing me, my love."
She bit down on my earlobe.
"I wouldn't think of it, my love."
I wrapped my hand in her hair and pulled it hard.  

I wrestled her down onto the bed and we passionately celebrated our new equality.

Of course a double-cross had fleetingly crossed my mind, but I rejected it immediately. You see, I really do love my Elvira.

Maybe a little of Ren is rubbing off on me after all. Because what good is ultimate power if you can't share it with the one you love? I almost breathed the words to her that night, but why show your hand before you have to?

No comments:

Post a Comment