Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Marguerite - Gen 3 Ch 6

It was the day after Papa passed away, and it was Little Lance's birthday. No one really felt like celebrating, but we had already bought the cake, and Lance was too little to understand why he couldn't have a party. So I lit his candles, and we sang Happy Birthday. Papa would have wanted it this way, I think.


He wanted a fishing pole for his birthday, so that is what we got. Every day after school he heads out to our little pond. He really seems to have a knack for it.
'Here, mommy, I brought you some fish! Make fish 'n' chips for dinner, pleasseeee!"
He can eat them every night it seems, he never gets tired of them.


Link and Lara graduated, and of course didn't want a party.  But they did want something else. I could tell they were excited because they were finishing each other's sentences.
"Mom.." Link began.
"And daddy..." Lara continued.
"You know we both.."
...like our privacy."
"And that is hard to come by..."
"...in this house."
"You know we love you more than anything..."
"...but we want to have our own place."
"We found the perfect house.."
"... really cheap..."
"duplex with two sides..."
"Link wants the traditional side..."
"...and Lara wants the modern side."
"We just need you to ..."
"...co-sign  for us."
"Please?"
The last word came out in unison. James and I looked at each other.  How could we say no to such enthusiasm? And they both had good jobs lined up. Lara of course had gone down to the police station, and had dragged Link with her for moral support. He was so impressed with the job offer she got, he applied as well. So much for joining the military - now the plan seems to be an international super-spy team.


Not long after the twins moved out, I heard Lily again, running down the hall to the bathroom in the middle of the night. This had been going on for a week now, and I was getting a little worried. 
"Ah, don't worry mom, I think it's the experiments we're doing at the lab, the smell is really getting to me lately. They warned us it might make us sick."
That didn't seem right to me, but the nightly vomiting sessions stopped soon after, so I forgot about it.


"Mom, do you think I'm getting fat?"
I was getting ready to try again for a non-melting ice sculpture, but Lily startled me with her question. I looked at her closely.
"Well, now that you mention it, you do look like you've gained some weight."
"Ya, I think I'm eating too much, I should go on a diet."


As I worked the ice, I kept glancing over at Lily. The more I studied her, the more I was convinced that her weight gain was not "eating too much" weight. I suddenly remembered the vomiting episodes of a few weeks ago, and it all became clear. I was so distracted with the thoughts going 'round in my head, I didn't pay nearly enough attention to my sculpture.
"Oops, that didn't turn out well, did it?"
Lily laughed and laughed. And the ice melted, just like all the others.



I dragged Lily to the doctor under protest, and sure enough, my suspicions were confirmed. I'm gonna be a Grandma! I am just so excited! Lily is tight-lipped about who could be the father, however.


That was about the change, however. One day, not too long before Lily's delivery date, the door bell rang. James was surprised to see a vaguely familiar young man standing here.
"Hello, my name is Chris Caspian. I'm one of Lily's co-workers, and I was worried since she hasn't been at work in a while. May I see her?"
"She didn't tell you why she's on leave?"
'No, we were just told she needed to take a leave of absence."
"Hrmm.. well, come on in then, Chris, I'll tell her you're here.

"Lily??!!"
Chris' eyes about popped out of his head when he saw Lily's very pregnant state.
"Uhh... Hi Chris."
"Lily.." his voice softened. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought you'd be angry. You're angry, aren't you?"
"Of course not. Why would I be angry?"
"It was just that one time, in the supply closet...and... I only did it because I love you... and.. well... I dunno." Her voice trailed off to a whisper. "I was afraid."
"And all the times I asked you to go steady with me, they don't count for anything? Don't you know how much I love you?"

"And now I'm gonna be a daddy! Lily..I... I know you don't want to get married, but ... but.. I'll ask one more time. Will you go steady with me?"
They both abruptly realized we were all standing there listening. I waited impatiently for Lily's answer. 'Say yes! He's a nice boy!' I was thinking hard in her direction.
She looked around at me, and James, then back at Chris. I could see the fear in her eyes, and I totally understood. I smiled and gave her an encouraging little nod.
Finally came a barely audible whisper. "y..yes" then a huge sigh of relief, from all of us.


We all wanted Chris to move in right then, but he has other plans. He lives with his grandparents, who need him to care for them in their old age, and he will inherit their property. So he wants Lily to join him there.

Once she was all moved in, and Chris was at work, Lily started having second thoughts.
"I don't even know these people. Maybe I should just come back home."
I had to remind her why she was there.
"You love Chris and want to be with him, don't you sweetie?"


"Yes, you're right mommy. Just come visit me sometimes,okay?"
I'll visit you every day sweetie, I can't wait for that baby!"


I didn't have to wait long. In fact, it was the every next day. Chris and his grandma were freaking out, so I had to drive Lily to the hospital. I was so proud of myself for not having a panic attack.  I guess when you've done it five times you get used to it.


Lily had a little boy then named Dominique. I can spend hours holding that adorable baby, and often do! My very first grandchild! I want lots of grandchildren. Lara has a boyfriend now, so.... maybe...


With Lily gone, and me away doting on little Dominique, two things have happened that made me realize I need to spend more time at home. First of all, the garden is a mess. Without Lily to nurture them, the plants are not happy. I'm not really a plant person, but it needs doing, and no one else knows how.


Secondly, while I was collecting laundry from Livie's room I found a pile of odd stuff hidden in the corner behind the hamper.
"Livie, where did this stuff come from?"
"Oh... uh... I .. need that stuff for my inventions."
"That's not what I asked."
She looked down at her feet. " I.. uh.. borrowed them from the neighbors."
"Borrowed?" I raised my eyebrows at her.
"Okay, I took them! I didn't mean to! I just see stuff and before I know it, it's in my backpack."
I made her return them, and watched as she trudged out to the mail box to send them back to their owners. She promised not to do it again.



But the very next week, there was a stack of little Chinese dishes back in the same spot.
"LIVIE!"
I was angry; she had promised me!
"Whose are these?" I demanded.
She looked chagrined. "Uh.. they're Lane Seaman's."
"And just who is Lane Seaman?"
"A guy I met at the dump."
"Spill it, young lady."



"Well, you see, mom, I was digging in a pile of trash, and I saw this flywheel I absolutely had to have, so I was throwing stuff everywhere, trying to get to it. It was kinda dark, and I didn't know anyone was there. Suddenly I heard this loud 'OW' from behind me, and there was this guy with the most gorgeous yellow-orange hair standing there rubbing his head."


" 'Oh, did I hit you? I'm really sorry. I didn't see you there.' He said it was fine, he wasn't hurt, I just startled him. He was looking for parts to upgrade his chopper. I told him I had one too, and then he told me he's a firefighter. Isn't that totally cool, mom?"


"I tried to think of something to impress him and the only thing I could think of was my 'Look at me, I'm eating dirt!' routine. I know, kinda dumb now that I think about it, but at the time it seemed like a good idea."


"I think he was totally impressed. Anyway, I got my flywheel, and on my way out, I saw his chopper in the parking lot, and there was this little cardboard box tied to the back. I just had this sudden urge, and before I knew it, the box just kinda jumped into my backpack. I'm really sorry, I'll mail it back."
"Not so fast young lady, maybe it will teach you a lesson if you return it in person. I want you to apologize face to face."
Livie begged, but I didn't back down. I watched as she called this Lane, and told him to come retrieve his property.


"Hi, Livie, thanks for inviting me over!"
"Oh, uh, hi, Lane. I have a confession to make. You know that box of Chinese dishes you had?"
"Yeah, it must have fallen off my bike, I can't find it."
"Uh, no it didn't. I... uh.. took it. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to, anyway, here it is, you can have it back."
Poor Livie looked so uncomfortable. This was turning out to be a good punishment for her.
"Oh, hmm... I see. Hmm. I don't know quite what I'd do with it. Someone brought it to the fire station as a thank you gift, and I just took it because no one else wanted it. Hey tell you what, why don't you just keep it? I didn't really want it anyway, and you must have really wanted it."
then he flashed her an endearing grin. And I started to wonder if this had been such a good idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment