Saturday, August 14, 2010

Marguerite - Gen 3 Ch 7

So,from then on, Lane became a fixture at our house. James made sure to talk him up, and they soon became friends. James assured me that Lane was a nice guy. He wasn't that long out of high school, having graduated the same time as Link and Lara. And he only seemed interested in being friends with Livie, there was never a hint of anything improper between them.

More often than not, he would stop by to 'help' Livie with her homework - although mostly he chatted while she hurried through her assignments. She could hardly wait to get back to her workbench.


Lance's birthday was a wonderful excuse to get the whole family back together again. Of course, Lane was invited, too, as he almost seemed a part of the family by now. Only baby Dommie stayed behind with his great-grandma Caspian. He had a little cold.

We enrolled Lance at the Science Academy with Livie, so he can continue his interest in fishing. I know I'm kinda prejudiced since he's mine, but I think that kid is gonna be a heartbreaker.


The party was a good excuse for Lane and Livie to hang out together.

And Lily regaled us all with her latest ghost story. Lara didn't seem too impressed, but I was fascinated. I wondered if there were ghosts at the Caspian's, like there are here.
Lance seems to have inherited the family "gift". At least that's what my Papa used to tell me it was, a gift. He said his grandfather had it, too, just like Grandpa Max.  In my opinion, it's more of a curse, but oh well. Anyway, Lance has decided the proper uniform for fishing is his best suit.
"You should always get dressed up when you are doing something you love."
 I had to agree with him there. And I had no idea there were such giant fish in our little pond!

Livie still spends every spare minute at her workbench in the basement. Lane seems  more interested in playing with the robot toy she made.
"This is so cool, Livie! You have such an imagination to come up with this stuff."
"Thanks!" Livie blushed at the compliment. "You can have it if you want."
"Oh, wow, thanks!"

But one day, one of the few that Lane wasn't there, I heard a loud crackling noise coming from the basement, followed by a shriek from Livie!

I raced down the stairs, scared of what I would find. But there was Livie, blackened from head to toe, but with a pleased grin on her face.  She had the gall to laugh at me when I asked if she was okay!
"Don't worry, mom, I'm fine. Nothing a little shower won't fix. Wow, that was.... exhilarating!"
I shook my head in amazement as she headed off to the shower. Lara had a streak of daredevil in her, but nothing like Livie has. Sometimes I really fear for her safety.

So this is what she was so pleased about. She says it's a miner, and she can't wait to try it out.
"Just do it behind the barn, Livie, I don't want holes all over the yard."
Livie's, James' and my birthdays are so close, James wanted  have one giant party for the three of us. He invited everyone he knows, which is a lot of people. I'm a little nervous at blowing out my candles in front of such a crowd of people. I hope I don't have a panic attack.

Watching Livie grow up set my mind whirling again. For days now I've been thinking about my pendant. I've never before thought of giving it up, not when Lily, or Lara, or Link grew up. I just couldn't bear to think of parting with it. But the last few days.. well, sometimes it just itches the back of my neck, and other times, it get so heavy. Maybe it's telling me to pass it on to Livie.  But on the other hand, it makes me feel safe somehow. What to do?

Enthusiastic cheering brought me back from my thoughts. It was James' turn to blow out his candles.

Still as handsome as ever, I think. That's my brother Mason, and my sis Mari, behind him. I haven't seen Mason in ages. And who is that girl in the hospital gown? I have no idea.

Then it was my turn. My heart was fluttering madly, but I managed to get all the candles out.

James can always tell when I'm about to lose it, and tonight was no different.


He was there in a flash, with his arms around me.
"Baby, you are so beautiful. And I love you more each day. I have a surprise for you. Come and see."


"Oh, James, it's beautiful! A daisy sculpture garden! You know my name means 'daisy' in French."
"I know, your papa told me. You know, your grandma Sunny has her sunflower pond, and your mom has her White Rose Nectary rose garden and sign, so I thought I'd make you your special place too."


"But what's that big empty spot in the middle?" I wondered.
"That, Margi baby, is where your non-melting ice sculpture will go."
I sighed happily and leaned my head on his shoulder. What a perfect birthday.


There was only one more thing left to do. I knew I had to give up my pendant, that is, if I could pry Livie away from Lane.


I called her out to Grandma Sunny's pond. I thought that was an appropriate place for something so momentous. And I told her the whole story of the pendant. I told her to always wear it, and it would lead her to happiness like it did for me. Of course it glowed as I placed it in her hand.
"I can feel it, mom. It's wonderful."


"Thank you mommy. It's the most wonderful thing I have ever seen. I never realized until right now, and here you've been wearing it my whole life."
"Happy Birthday, Livie."
"Happy Birthday, Mommy."

No comments:

Post a Comment