Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cypress - Gen 9 Ch 11



After Oakheart's birthday, we returned to Riverview, as Star and I both thought there were more options for Oak's education there. I also began the task of attempting to teach him more of my life's work, the oral translations of the old journals. Oakheart had other ideas though.





He much preferred to spend his time in the garden, Lucky never far away. 
"You know, there's no reason for you to be messing around out here. Bennie is perfectly capable of handling that," I'd  say.
"I know, dad, but this is important. I just have a feeling."



Lucky is getting a little grey around the muzzle, but still follows Oak everywhere. And Oak still is haunted by his dreams.



He doesn't mention them often anymore, but I still hear him wandering the house late at night. He says it's almost always the same dream, a deserted tropical beach. Once in a while a white haired girl appears, beckoning silently, as if in great distress. The older he grows, the more sure he seems, that the girl of his dream is real, and he must find her somehow.



As for me, I had better things to worry about than dreams. Shortly after we returned to Riverview, we discovered we were expecting again! Yup, something about the water in that spring, that's for sure.



Soon we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. We named her Sunflower. Star believes we are the precipice of a new age for our family, and she, like Oakheart, deserves a momentous name. What better name than the one who rescued the pendant from oblivion and followed it here.



Little Sunny has her grandpa wrapped around her little finger. It's funny to watch him and mom fight over who gets to hold her next.



And of course we had to make the trip back to Hidden Springs for summer break, so Granny could meet her as well. 
"What does the car say, Sunny?"
"Vroom Vroom!"
"Very good!"
Granny just has an amazing way with children.



She also has an amazing way with teenagers. I complained to her about how Oakheart had no interest in learning the language she and I had been working on, and she said she'd handle it.
"Now, what's this I hear about you and your dad?"
"Aw, Granny, I don't see why I need to learn Dad's dusty old language. No one speaks it anymore. What's the point?"
"Hmm.. I see. Are you sure?"
"Positive. Who could possibly speak a language no one's ever heard of?
"What about your white-haired girl?"



His head jerked up at that.
"Huh? You... you really think so?"
"I do."
"Well, okay then. I'll do it. If there's even a chance..."



He still spends most of him time in the garden, but his language lessons are slowly sinking in as well. Part of me is thrilled by his sudden interest, but another part looks with trepidation to the future. Who is this white-haired girl, and what does she want with my son?



Summer was drawing to a close, and with it our time in Hidden Springs. My birthday arrived, and we celebrated just the way I like it - very small and private. Funny, I don't feel any older.



Sunny's birthday followed soon after. I've studied every detail of our family tree, and I've got to say, she definitely had inherited the family "gift", in spades.



"Whatcha doing, Oak?" From the hallway, I caught the sound of Sunny's voice emanating from Oakheart's room.
"Nothing. Just going through my stuff."
"You're leaving, aren't you. Going to look for her. You won't find her, you know. Not that way."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Yes you do. Don't say I didn't warn you."
My heart froze. I didn't let them know I'd heard, but later that night, I caught up with Oakheart during one of his nightly wanderings.



"So... ah.. I overheard you and Sunny today. What's this about you leaving?"
"Oh.. well.. yeah. Not until after graduation, though. Just like you needed to look for Hidden Springs when you were young, I need to look for my white-haired girl."
When he put it that way, it was hard to refute.
"What about what your sister said? She thinks you won't find her."
"Bah, she's just a silly little girl. What does she know?" Oak dismissed my observation with a gesture.
I think Sunny knows more than anyone thinks she does, but try convincing a headstrong teenager of that.
"Well, alright, son. If this is what you think you must do, your mom and I will support you. But not until after you graduate, okay?"



Oakheart's birthday was fast approaching, and with it, the atmosphere between Star and me was growing every more tense. We almost never disagree on anything, but there was one point of contention we could not solve. Where would we celebrate Oakheart's birthday?
"Now, listen to me Cy, our family has always celebrated the passing of the pendant at the hidden spring. It just wouldn't be right to do it anywhere else."



"But.. but.." I wracked my brain, trying to come up with a coherent argument. "But we've always done it at Sunflower's pond...." My voice trailed off.
That didn't come out quite as convincingly as I'd hoped. Finally as the days counted down, we came up with a compromise. We'd celebrate first thing in the morning here at the spring, then hop a flight to Riverview and have a second celebration there.



Problem solved, we moved on the to next order of business. Making up is always the best part. Even with a few more grey hairs, my shining Star makes me feel like a kid again.



We were up at the crack of dawn, the day of Oak's birthday.
Star repeated the same words her granny spoke at this very spot.
"...And may it lead to your heart's desire."
I looked on with pride as my son took the pendant and placed it around his neck.

And then we rushed home to gather up Sunny and Lucky, and were off on a whirlwind day of travel.



The party was already in full swing when we pulled up in the driveway, and the full moon cast a strange pale light on the guests, as Oakheart stepped up to his cake. He seemed almost pensive, lost in thought, as he blew out his candles. Star, too, had a faraway look on her face. I shook my head to clear the fog. It was probably just the long day of travel, getting to us all.



The party was starting to wind down, when the doorbell rang on last time. It was my Uncle Mel, come to bring a gift from him, El, and Talia. He headed straight to Oak.
"Sorry I'm late.  And sorry that El and Talia couldn't make it - they're in the middle of planning Talia's wedding. I wanted to bring you this, though. El said you'd be needing it, where you're going." He grinned at Oak. "Not sure what she meant by that, but anyway, I hope you like it."
Oak quickly tore off the wrapping and gasped at what was inside - small packets of strange seeds with neat, hand-printed labels.
"Mandrake, wolfsbane, red cap... and lots more. Thank you! I thought these strains had gone extinct hundreds of years ago!"
Mel shrugged and grinned again. "Well, El said she'd been saving them for something, I guess they were meant for you. Happy Birthday!"



Finally the moment arrived. The cake was eaten, the guests had all departed, Sunny was in bed, and it was just me, and Star, and Oak, at the edge of Sunflower's Pond.
"Here, son. This pendant is yours now. May it lead you to what you seek."



Oak gently took the pendant from my hand and slowly fastened it around his neck. All three of us stood there for a few minutes, staring at the two pendants hanging there, waiting for something, anything to happen - willing them to somehow merge into one. Finally, I shrugged resignedly.
"Well, son, I guess it's up to you to figure out what to do next."



Suddenly Oak grabbed me up in a bear hug.
"I will dad, I will. I promise. I need to find the white-haired girl."











No comments:

Post a Comment