Friday, July 8, 2011

Oleander - Gen 7 Ch 7

The aftermath of Daffodil's birthday party, and Papa Brann's funeral - we had already seen Papa Brook off to bed, along with Song and Daffodil, but I was still in a state of shock from what I had seen.
"Did you see it, Zhan? Please tell me you saw it too."
"Saw what, love?"


"I saw the grim reaper right here on our patio! Papa Brann shook his hand, and smiled at him, like he was happy to go.."


"Then he walked slowly over to Papa Brook and just sort of stared at him for a few minutes - Oh, Zhan, I think he's going to come for Papa Brook soon, you should have seen the way he stared at him!"


"After that, he just sauntered over to the birthday cake, and helped himself to a piece!"


"Are you sure, sweetheart? I didn't see a thing."
"Of course I'm sure!" I snapped, maybe a little too sharply, but my heart was still pounding from my experience. "What do you think it all means?" I continued, sniffling a little now.
"I'm so sorry, love. I don't know. I do know that meditation often helps in situations like this. Remember how I taught you when we were in China?"


I did remember how, but it was so hard to find time. It seemed there was always something important that needed doing. Daffodil needed her breakfast, or Song needed help with his homework. There was no place to go, to really feel at peace, like I had in the Scholar's Garden.


As the days passed, and Grim made no appearance, Papa took to spending more and more time fishing out at the pond. He parked Papa Brann's old actor's trailer back out in the corner of the yard...


...and when he got tired, he'd hang out in the trailer. He said it gave him peace, so we stopped making him come inside to sleep, and just let him sleep out there.


He adored his grandchildren, of course, and when he wasn't fishing he was playing with little Daffodil...


...or watching TV with Song.
"How about I take you out fishing, get out of the house for a while?"
"No thanks, Grampa. I'd much rather just watch the fishing channel with you. I'm pretty sure I'd trip and fall in the lake."


Soon it was birthday time again. I was a little nervous bringing Daffodil to the cake, seeing as what had happened at her last birthday. But Grampa Brook was still hale and hearty, and managed to cheer loader than anyone else as Daffodil blew out her candles. Maybe my vision of Grim had no meaning after all.


Everyone else was enjoying their cake, but I took a pass on it. I was pretty sure I knew why my tummy was rebelling, but I hadn't told Zhan yet.
"Andee, love. Are you alright?"
"Uh huh, just birthday nerves I think."
Zhan had an extremely somber and serious expression on his face as he continued.
"There's something we need to talk about. Come upstairs with me?"



"I asked your dad to watch the kids for a while, so we won't be interrupted," he continued, as we walked hand in hand up the stairs to our room. I could hear their excited squeals as they took turns on the waterslide. I was glad they were happy, but I was on edge from fear and anticipation. What could Zhan possibly want to talk about?



"Andee, love. I heard from my boss today, my SIA boss. He has a job for me. I have to leave for China in the morning."
I knew it. My greatest fear was coming to pass. My Zhan was going back to China. Who knew how long he would be gone?
As if in answer to my fears, he continued,
"I won't be gone long love. A month at the most. I'm so sorry, I know how busy things are right now. But this is important, and I'm the only one who has the background to do it. "
I nodded in agreement, not trusting myself to speak. Suddenly we were interrupted by loud shouts of glee from the hallway.



"Yay! Grampa says we can sleep in the treehouse tonight! Come on, Dilly! Get your princess costume on! Hehehe!"
I'm not sure how much actual sleep they got...


.. but I know I barely shut my eyes, holding on to my Zhan and willing him to come back safely to me. I would tell him my news when he returned; no use giving him an extra worry while he is away.


The kids had left for school, and Zhan had hugged them and made them promise to be good. Now it was my turn.
"I'll be back before you know it, Andee love."
Then he kissed me gently, tears in his eyes, and was gone.



Contrary to Zhan's prediction, time seemed to drag while he was gone. I tried to fill the hours at my easel, but even that didn't make time fly like it usually did.


The kids spent their time in the new sandbox that Papa had built. Even Song was not adverse to building sand castles - he evidently decided he couldn't get hurt sitting in the sand. Poor kid, he definitely didn't inherit his dad's athletic ability.


He doesn't even really like to pillow fight, but Daffodil loves it, and he always consents just to make her happy.
"Ahahaha, got you big bro!"
"Oof! That was a good one! Ahhhhh.. I missed again!"

Zhan had told everyone that he was going to visit relatives, so I was the only one who worried. I've learned not to talk to papa about my 'conspiracy theories', as he calls them, so all I could do was worry in private. I really have to find a good place to meditate. Maybe that would help.


Finally! It seemed like months, but it was three weeks to the day. I raced out of the house to meet him in the yard. He pulled me into his arms, and when he kissed me, I didn't want to stop. I didn't even care about the neighbors.
"Oh, Andee love. I missed you so much. And I have so much to tell you!"
"I missed you too. And I have some news for you, too!"


We argued playfully for a few minutes over who would get to go first, and finally he relented.
"Okay... my news is... we're having another baby!"


Of course he was thrilled.


"Okay, now tell me your news!"
'Hehe, in a minute. First I need to say hello to this little guy."

4 comments:

  1. I hate it when you give us cliffhangers like that. :P You don't update often enough for this to not classify as some sort of torture.

    Glad Zhan got back safe and sound. For a moment there I thought you might be killing him off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you tease :P I want to know what the news is! lol.

    Great chapter :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe... next update is sooner rather than later - I have most of the pics already :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confused, in the last chapter, "Daffodil" was "Peony" what happened?

    ReplyDelete