Friday, April 30, 2010

Sunflower - Gen 1 Ch 2

So after the mess with Larry, I was depressed for a long time, and threw myself into my gardening. I also discovered a public easel at the art museum, but I was embarrassed to paint there - my efforts looked like something a 6-year-old would paint. "Sigh." Maybe someday I could sell enough produce to afford my own easel. The grocery store liked my vegatables well enough, but didn't pay me much for them.




Then one day I stopped by the gym to .. err.. I'm embarrassed to say this... take a shower. I usually tried to make my visits at off hours; I didn't want people to know I couldn't even afford a shower. But today, even though it was still early, I heard voices upstairs in the workout room. I went to investigate, but there was only one person there, and he was.. shall I say... hot. "Hello!" I greeted him. I thought I heard talking. Where is everyone?"
He grinned at me mischieviously, "Nope, just me here. He held out his hand. "I'm Max!" I grinned back. "I'm Sunny. You are sure an early bird, you must love to work out." For a second I thought it was odd that he was working out in his swim trunks, but after all, there was a pool downstairs. I secretly admired his physique. He was suddenly shy, looking down at his feet. Well, err, I have to work out when I can, so I can help out on our family farm.
"Oh?" I said excitedly. " I love gardening!" At that, we struck up a long animated conversation, and were fast friends in no time. Then he said he had to go, his dad was expecting him. "Where do you live" I asked. "Could I come visit your farm?"
"Sure!" he anwered with that awesome smile of his. "Its the McDermott Place. Just ask anyone, they can direct you."





Max McDermott?? I was dumbfounded. Why had my best friend Ginny never introduced me to her ... what.. cousin? brother? .. son? I knew I had to talk to her about it, so the next day I headed over to "the McDermott Place" as Max had called it.
Ginny and I sat down over coffee, and she started, " I guess I have some explaining to do. Yes, Max is my son. Oh don't look so surprised, and yes, I am that much older than you! Max is a very sweet and kind boy, as you have discovered." I thought to myself that he wasn't a boy, he was a very handsome man, but I didn't interupt. I guess mothers never stop thinking of their sons as boys.
Ginny continued, " but he has never been quite right. He likes to talk to himself, and he is always coming up with the craziest stories that he insists are real. I don't know if he could make it out there." Ginny waved her hand in the general direction of the town. " So he stays here and helps Luke and me out with the farm. I think that is best for him."
I nodded soberly, and resigned myself to being "just friends" with Max, as Ginny wished. I continued to visit Ginny regularly, and sometimes Max was there too, but usually he was out somewhere fishing. He loved to fish, and was really good at it. He always greeted me with that heartwarming smile of his, and after a while he started to tell me some of his stories. They were kind of crazy, but then what would people say if I told them a pendant had directed me to spend all my money on an overgrown field?



As the weeks passed, I began thinking more and more of Max, and how sweet and kind he was, and how much he would like my garden. One evening I could stand it no longer, and called him to invite him over. He loved my garden! He thought it was a wonderful idea to sleep outside! He wondered why no one else had thought of it. He checked out all my plants and declared them "beautiful". Then he took my hands and whispered shyly, " And you are beautiful. You have such pretty hair." My heart melted at that and I gazed into his eyes. He leaned over and planted a shy kiss on my face. " I like you so much, Sunny. I know I'm sorta crazy, and my mom thinks I can't make it on my own, but she's wrong. I could make it if you were with me. Will you be my girlfriend Sunny?"
I was so overwhelmed I could only nod, then I hugged him tight. " Oh Max, you make me so happy. It's getting so late, please stay with me tonight."



The next morning I made salad for breakfast. I wanted to show off my new fridge and counter. I apologized for not having a chair, but Max just winked at me and said that the toilet worked just fine for sitting. He didn't seem to mind my tiny lean-to bathroom either. He thought it was funny to pee and shower outside.

Max says talking to plants makes them grow faster. I'm not sure about that, but I admit to talking to them too occasionally.
Well, we both went to talk to Ginny, and I was so relieved she was not upset. "I think you may be right my dears," she exclaimed. "If anyone can put up with Max, it's you, sweetheart. Now take good care of him for me, will you? And here is little something for both of you - now at least build yourselves a real bathroom."


We not only built a real bathroom but we bought a stove, a table, 2 chairs, and a boombox! I was so grateful to Ginny. We both worked hard on the garden; the fruits and veggies started selling for a little more. The grocer complimented me on the increasing quality of the produce. I was so proud!
We were never too tired at the end of the day for a little fun. Every night Max asked "Can we make a baby tonight?" and every night I said, "Not yet, we don't have enough money, and I don't want to have a baby unless I'm married. Let's just have fun instead.


One day not too long after Max moved in, he woke up with an excited glint in his eye. "Let's hurry with the garden today, I want to show you something."

He borrowed his dad's pickup, and we drove for hours. "Where are we going?" I asked. "It's a surprise" he grinned. We ended up at an incredibly beautiful park way up near the foot of the mountains. When he got there he kissed me, then whispered, "This is my favorite place, I wanted to show it to you."


We spent a wonderful afternoon there. As the sun went down we grilled veggies for dinner.


We cuddled and made out on the park bench. Max seemed to have something to say but was having trouble getting it out. "Ah... Sunny, you know I love you more than anything. You are the best friend I've ever had. Ah.. you have such pretty hair.." He turned suddenly shy, and just handed me the small box he had dragged out of his pocket.

I was not about to have a silent proposal, so I took the box, opened it carefully, then turned to Max and declared, Max, I love you too, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?" He looked so relieved, and nodded vigorously. It was so beautiful even at night in the little park, with fish jumping behind us, and Max and I just so happy.

Max and I set up our garden for the wedding. Heather curled my hair, and we invited Max's parents Ginny and Luke, his brother Travis, plus Odin and Heather. There was a tense moment just before the guests arrived, when Max insisted he wanted to wear his swim trunks to the wedding, but I convinced him that his everyday clothes would be better, he didn't have to wear his formal suit. He was relieved, he said it itched something awful. I just smiled.

Heather is so happy for me. I don't know who that guy behind her is, he showed up uninvited. I think he said his name was Don.

Luke and Odin look like they are about to cry from happiness. Poor Ginny couldn't make it. Luke said she was awfully sick and couldn't get out of bed. That was the only sad part of the day. I hope she's going to be alright.

After the vows, the guys threw rice, and Max and I had a very long kiss.

Max kept his promise to wear his everyday clothes for the ceremony, but as soon the vows were said and the rice was thrown, he was back in his swim trunks. We danced by the fire 'til all the guests had gone.

Max smiled happily and stroked my cheek. "Tonight we are going to make a baby," he insisted. I smiled in return and agreed. Later that night as I cuddled close to him I felt my pendant warm on my chest. Sleepily I held it in my hand. It seemed to be glowing faintly, the same way it had done right after I bought my field. Could it really be true what my mother had told me, that it might lead me to what I was seeking? I dozed off, wondering if the glow was real or if I was dreaming.

2 comments:

  1. I love that bed in the garden! Glowing pendant? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice wedding. Don pops up everywhere doesn't he? LOL!

    ReplyDelete