Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Freya - Chapter 4


Sooo. Yeah. It turned out Jaxon wasn't real happy that I had called out Silvanus' name in the heat of our, err, semi-passion in the hot spring. It had always agitated him whenever I mentioned my poor trapped friend, but now it was even worse.
"Your Silvanus isn't real, Freya. You're just imagining things. You've always had a vivid imagination, but this has gone too far. You have to stop!"





I told him maybe we just shouldn't see each other any more, if that's how he felt, and surprisingly, he agreed.
'Fine. Let me know when you're over this Silvanus nonsense. I really can't take it any more."



I thought Silvanus would be happy that I had finally sent Jaxon away, and he was, sort of. But he was also concerned that I might not be able to do much more exploring.
"We were so close!" His rumbling voice vibrated in my head. "If only... but what is done is done. I have waited this long, I can wait a little longer."
"What is done? What are you talking about?"



I soon discovered what he was talking about. Every time I took my little boat out on the waves, my stomach rebelled so that I had to turn back to the dock almost immediately.



At first I thought I was just consuming too much buzzweed, but when I cut back, it made no difference. I could barely take care of my herb garden without running constantly to the pot.



And hungry! Sometimes I found myself just stuffing raw herbs into my face to satisfy the  gnawing in my gut.  My clothes were getting uncomfortably tight, and I took to wearing just my underwear all day long.



Jaxon started stopping by occasionally again, but for some reason he always started freaking out when I mentioned my diving expedition, and how I was finally feeling well enough again to continue searching for clues to free Silvanus. Eventually he noticed my bulging belly.



"Uh, Freya? Are you pregnant?"
"Umm.. maybe."
Actually the thought had crossed my mind more than once over the past few days, but I had pushed it away each time. I didn't have time to be pregnant! And how would I dive with a baby to care for?



True to form, Jaxon informed my whole family of my current predicament. And the next day there they all were, on my front porch - my mom and dad, and both of my little brothers, all looking serious and concerned.



My mom handed my a stack of dresses that fit my new expanded figure. I was grateful for that, and also for her being the only one of the four to be actually happy for me.



My dad was another story.
"You know Freya, that it's not easy to raise a child alone. If you won't consider Jaxon as a partner, maybe you should move back home with us."



I tried to explain about Silvanus and my search for his cure, but my dad just gave me that look that I was used to by now - the one that says, 'oh, it's just crazy Freya going on again.'



Anyway, I convinced them all that I was perfectly capable of taking care of myself. Or, at least, I made it clear I was going to stay with Silvanus. Mom was so excited to be a prospective grandma.



And I was happy that I was finally contributing to the continuation of our little community. I wondered what my little one would be like? A fairy like mom, or a witch like dad? Or maybe a Djin like Jaxon. I only hoped that Jaxon's wolf heritage would not show itself. I didn't know if I could deal with that.



As diving was out of the question in my current state, I spent more time experimenting with my herbs. I found if I concentrated hard enough, I could force the plants to grow faster that usual! I called it 'bloom' and it made caring for the little rooftop garden much quicker and easier.



The night of the full moon rolled around once more, and with it came the sharp pains of labor.



I was alone except for Silvanus, and although he couldn't be there in physical form, his encouraging rumble helped me through the roughest parts.
"That's it, Freya. Breathe. Almost there now. You can do it."



I think it was a good omen, that my daughter made her way into the world just as the full moon rose majestically into the night sky.



I named her Cinnamon, after the herb that was responsible for her conception. She was perfect in all respects, except for her skin. I was horrified to see that she had inherited Andrae's red-tinged wolf skin.



As she grew I looked constantly for signs of wolf blood, but she remained my sweet, perfect child, and eventually I grew used to her wolf-like appearance.



Jaxon, however, reminded me whenever he came to visit, that wolf blood usually doesn't show itself for a year a so. He loved his daughter though, and even though I wasn't thrilled with his pronouncement, it was nice to have a break once in a while from her constant care. My dad was right, raising a baby by myself was not easy.



It was overwhelming sometimes, when Jaxon had gone, and little Cinny woke me in the middle of the night. What if she was a wolf-child? What would I do then?



But in no time at all, it seemed, she grew into a sweet and beautiful toddler. And still there was no sign of wolf blood - just tiny golden fairy wings and a tendency to make her toys disappear, 'like magic, mama!'


Jaxon made sure that his daughter was well supplied with a great number of toys, courtesy of her grandpa Andrae. He made a polished wooden box to store all of them in, and a wonderful little rocking horse that she was too small to ride.



I chafed at having to give up my diving for such a long time, but I did learn that with my new 'bloom' spell, I could grow my herbs anywhere! I still kept up the roof top garden, but now there was room to expand.



I even figured out how to rig up a sail to my little yellow boat, and began to cautiously experiment with it while Cinny napped, never going out of range of Silvanus' rumbling voice. If Cinny so much as let out a single squeak, he would let me know, and I'd point my sailboat back to the house.



When I wasn't improving my herbs or practicing my sailing, I was searching for a very specific spell. Silvy was sure it existed, but I had never learned it. My dad thought he remembered something of the sort, hidden away in the old spellbooks, but he wasn't positive. After all, what possible use could there be for an underwater breathing spell? The ocean was dangerous! Not a place for swimming! I nodded compliantly whenever he went on about it, but whenever I had a chance, I headed over to the reagent shop that my Aunt Lily ran, and paged through the old books.



At last my perseverance paid off. Silvy was right! There it was! I practiced it until I had it down pat. The full moon was rising as Cinny and I left the shop - a most auspicious beginning to this new phase of my adventure.


Silvy, of course, wanted me to leave right then. But I sat on the edge of the bath tub and reminded him that I couldn't just go in the middle of the night, and leave Cinny behind!



"I want to! I just can't, Silvy. There's no one to watch Cinny! We've waited this long, we can wait another few hours."
Silvanus grumbled in reply, but he knew I was right.



Bright and early the next morning, I dropped Cinny off to spend the day with her daddy. Jaxon gave me 'that look' when I told him I was going out diving, but he wisely kept his mouth shut.



I knew they would be fine. Cinny adored her daddy, and the feeling was obviously mutual. My baby was in good hands, and I was set for the adventure of my life. Silvy had marked a new spot for me to dive, and now that I was equipped with my new underwater breathing spell, I was sure I'd find that old wreck in no time flat. I couldn't wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment