Thursday, May 23, 2013

Andrae - Chapter 7


"Hey you," she whispered, her soft breath tickling my ear. "I just put Jaxon down for his nap, and you know what I want to do?"
I pretended to be oblivious.
"Oh, I don't know - take a bath? Go for a walk?"
"No, silly," she giggled.





I gasped in fake surprise as she went on to describe in great detail exactly what she planned on doing. 



Laughing, I picked her up and dumped her unceremoniously onto the bed.
Yes, my Meaghan was back. It had been a long time coming, but the nightmares had gradually faded, and my Meg was back to her old passionate self once more.




Jaxon's birthday was fast approaching, and I wanted to do something special for Meg at the same time. I'd been searching the beaches for weeks, looking for just the right stone. It was late at night, and I almost missed the shiny bits of blue embedded in the ordinary-looking rock at the water's edge. But there is was - just what I needed.



The next stop was the witch's potion shop. The witches had moved the machine I had found in the library cellar, and I needed it for the next step of my plan. In fact, it was when I learned what the machine was actually for, that the idea for my project came to me.
 After all Ma's stories, I was still nervous about coming face to face with Moonflower, but she was surprisingly helpful after I described what I needed.



"That's right. Just drop it in there, then turn the crank."
I wasn't so sure, now that it came down to it. What if the machine just ground up my precious stone into dust?



I watched in fascination as the machine rumbled and shuddered for what seemed like forever. My stone was turning to dust as I watched, I just knew it.



But no - there it was - a perfect shiny blue gem for my Meg. I couldn't wait to get back to my workbench. I thanked Moonflower profusely and gave her the leftover dust for her potions.



As soon as I arrived home, I grabbed the handful of ancient coins that I had found on the beach long ago. The gold was soft and yielded gradually to my hammer. Finally it was finished, barely in time.



"It's Jaxon's birthday. You have to blow the birthday horn."
I felt silly, and tried to protest that it wouldn't matter to Jaxon, but Meg was giving me that look, so I blew the birthday horn.



As Jaxon grew, his eyes had gradually been changing color from the dark blue that all babies seem to have. And this day, on his birthday, it became obvious. He has my eyes. He has my eyes! I didn't think it would be such a big deal to me - I knew I'd always love him, no matter what - but it was.



Meaghan was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.
"I've been pretty sure for a while now; I didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong. Didn't you say you had something for Jaxon for his birthday?" she prompted me, abruptly changing the subject.



"Oh yeah! Happy Birthday, Jax!"
I pulled the whale I had made before he was born out from behind my back with a flourish.
"Go show it to Mama now! Tell her there's something for her there too."



"What do you have there, Baby? A whale? Can Mama see it?"
"Gaga! Baa!"
Obediently he held up the toy for Meg to look at. At first she didn't notice the extra little sparkle attached to the whale's spout.



So I bent down and untied the ring I had made for her.
"This is for you. Just because I love you."



I couldn't have asked for a better reaction.
"Oh my! Oh Andrae! It's beautiful! My favorite color! I can't believe it! Just like in the fairy tales! Oh thank you!"



"Oh, thank you," she murmured again, her arms around my neck.
"I've always wanted a fairy tale wedding. But it wouldn't be the same without a ring. But now - I can hardly wait to tell Aster, so we can start planning!"
I hadn't really thought that far ahead, but if Meg wanted a story book wedding, that's what we would have. Because I'd do anything for my sweet Meg, even that.




Not long after that special day, Meg and Jaxon took off to meet Aster and Summerwind somewhere to 'decorate', she said. I was glad for the quiet. I wanted to try this meditating thing again. According to the book, you just sit and clear your mind. Easier said than done. Thoughts of Meg and Jax kept sneaking in, and of course whenever I thought about the upcoming wedding, I began to shake from nerves and anxiety.



Eventually though, with the house quiet for hours, I was able to accomplish something I'd never done before. My mind was clear, and I formed a picture in my mind of the most peaceful place that I know of in the world. Suddenly the space around me began to fade into a bright green glow.



When the glow faded, I wasn't in my house anymore. I was so shocked to see the blue well cave shimmer into view, that I completely lost my concentration and fell to the ground with a loud thud. How fascinating! I wondered if I could travel to other places this same way. If I could, there was one place I'd like to see again.



It took a long time to create that level of concentration again. This time, knowing what to expect, I eased myself to the ground gently inside the Star Room. I'd been wanting to visit again ever since the night I went exploring the wells, but I'd promised Meg I wouldn't go well diving again. She has a deathly fear of water now, and I don't blame her.



Something was amiss. I could feel it. I couldn't quite place my finger on it, but there was something different. The painting of the man was still there, and the seven stars...




That was it! The stars had moved. The spacing was not the same, and the odd lettering had moved. It had been next to the man, I was sure of it, and now, it was on the south wall instead of the east.



I studied the new configuration for most of an hour, but it still made no sense to me. Finally I shrugged, and shook my head. Maybe the witches would know. I'd have to show it to them. To do that, though, I'd have to find another way in.



The rock slide in the small entry way was the key to the way out, I was sure. I could smell the faint odor of grass and flowers amongst the shattered rock and dirt in that direction.



With the right tools, it didn't take long to reveal a stairway leading up towards the surface.




As I poked my head up through a large flower bush and spread the branches apart  to see where I was, the first thing I heard was the unmistakable babble of Jax talking to the strange doll that Moonflower had given him for a birthday present.
"Gaga Boo!"
I panicked for a second until I heard Meaghan's voice as well.
"The arch is perfect. And thanks for letting us borrow the barrel chairs. Now, what should we do for music?"



"Meg? Meg! You won't believe what I..." I wanted to share the mystery that was under the building, but my excitement was no match for Meg's.
"Andrae?? Andrae! What are you doing here?"



Her conversation with Aster was forgotten as she ran up to me and almost bowled be over as she planted a sloppy kiss on my lips.
"I thought you weren't coming! Never mind. I'm so glad you're here. I have to show you everything! Look! Mama remembered this place from when she was little! It's the old Reception Hall! We've been painting, and we have a wedding arch, and chairs, and we're going to bring the Victrola down from the library for the day! I'm so excited!"
And so we spent the rest of the day talking wedding plans, and I put my mystery room on hold.



The day of the wedding dawned rainy and cold. I just shook my head at the distant figure of the witch Mandrake, standing out in the rain fishing like it was nothing. I wasn't really looking forward to facing the crowd of guests at the Reception Hall, and the rain just made it worse. I would probably smell like wet fur. Meg was so excited, I couldn't ask her to postpone it, though. I'd just have to muddle through. I made my way downstairs to my workroom. Maybe breaking a few boards or an hour of meditation would help.



We arrived early at the Hall to await our guests. I saw Ma briefly as she walked past, and called out to her, reminding her that she was welcome to attend, but she ignored me. I don't think she'll every forgive me for defying her wishes. I quickly put her out of my mind. This was Meg's day, and mine, and no one was going to ruin it.



At last it was time. The rain had stopped and the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds, although there was still a large puddle of water in the middle of the Reception Hall. Meg was radiant in her 'traditional garb', and she she gave me one of her scarves to wear, so we matched.



As we stood there, ready to begin, I began to hear quiet sighs and soft sniffles. I took my eyes off Meg for just a second,trying to figure out what was wrong. Maybe this was all a mistake. Was the fact that we were here so off-putting that it was making everyone cry?



But no, there was no sadness here. I breathed a sigh of relief. Summerwind was her usual giddy self, and old Oakheart was smiling along with everyone else.



And so, with everyone watching and sniffling and smiling, I took the ring I had made for my Meaghan...



... and slid it onto her pretty little finger. It was perfect. She was perfect.




And then I kissed her. Right there in front of everyone. Suddenly I heard the shuffling of feet, and slow soft clapping of hands, which gradually became faster and louder, until it filled the room and spilled out onto the beach.



Everyone was applauding us. Applauding me. And Meg. It was like something out of a dream.



Meg and I started the dance just as the sun was sinking below the horizon.



And soon everyone joined in - Zephyr and Summerwind, Mandrake and his fairy girl Sharee, my brother and Aster, Oakheart and Moonflower, and my little sister Ula, all grown up now.



The party lasted late into the evening. My worries and nervousness were long forgotten as we danced the night away.



We slipped away while no one was looking. Jaxon was exhausted from his exciting day, and went right to sleep. Now it was time for a little private celebrating of our own...





No comments:

Post a Comment