Thursday, March 14, 2013

Moonflower - Chapter 6


As we peered curiously into the dark room beyond the crumbled wall, old familiar shapes began to take form in the dim light - things I never thought I'd see again in my life. I squealed in excitement at the old and battered bathtub, toilet, and sink.






Hoping beyond hope, I reached out and slowly twisted the faucet on the tub. I could hardly believe it when a small stream of water trickled onto my outstretched hand. It was water the color of mud, but still, it was water all the same.



After looking everything over, Oakheart said everything was still connected to pipes that must run to a cistern somewhere, probably in the unexplored interior of the island. He thought with a little work, he'd be able to fix everything. I threw my arms around him in delight. Soon there would be no need for catching rainwater in buckets to use for bathing and drinking! And no more midnight trips to that nasty outdoor privy.



The next morning the renovations began in earnest. Our friends showed up bright and early and ready to - well, almost ready to work.



It took a little encouragement, and lots of reminders that their new larger abodes were next, but eventually the repairs got underway, with frequent breaks for - um, renewal.



The stray cat showed up again when we were almost finished, a sure sign of good luck.



I set some leftover chopped up fish out for her, and she gobbled it up, then proceeded to make herself at home. She was an odd looking little thing, with barely a stub of a tail, but she seemed friendly enough. I hoped she would adopt us. It would be nice to have a kitty around.



That night I settled the boys into their spacious new nursery for the first time.
"Don' wanna sweep in heah, mommy. Wanna sweep wid you!"
"Remember you were going to keep Manny company like a good big brother?"
"Oh, yeah. Nigh nigh, Manny! Nigh nigh, Mommy." *yawn*



And Oakheart and I settled in to our new room as well. Kitty curled up at the foot of the bed, and Oak and I spooned all night long. I only had to get up once to feed Manny. It was heavenly, to say the least.



It took some time, and a lot of experimentation, but Oak figured out how to magically repair the old bathroom fixtures.



I sighed contentedly as I lowered myself into my new bathtub for the very first time, surrounded by my favorite wolfsbane flowers. I never did find a way to use them to keep away the wolves, but it was still strangely comforting to have them close by, anyway.



Our new home was finally complete, and not a moment too soon. Baby number three was on the way!



Manny grew up way too fast. He and kitty soon grew to be fast friends.
"See the kitty, Manny? Kitty!"
"Kee! Kee!"
It was his first word. And so it was, that Kee came by her name.



Val grew up soon after, as the light of the full moon shone down. There was something in his eyes that night, that worried me a little..



But the next morning, he was my happy little Val again. Most days he raced around the beaches with Eagle, or helped me catch butterflies and pick flowers for my potions.



But every month at the full moon, that strange look would appear in his eyes once more, and my nagging worry would return.



Eventually the fairies' new bungalow was complete. We never found another bathtub, but Marten and Fawn were still grateful - they were in the same boat we had been in not too long ago, needing another bedroom for their expanding family.



Fawn was especially pleased, and took every opportunity to let me know. They too were expecting their baby number three!



The Djins' home was last. My due date was almost upon us when we put the finishing touches on their expanded cottage, and then celebrated with heaping plates of garden salad.



Meaghan was her mother's daughter, always willing to help out...


...while Val and Eagle raced off on one of their perennial games of tag.



Manny was growing like a weed. Oakheart now made up for all the time he had spent completing all our construction projects, and spent hours teaching him to walk and talk.



It was not long, before adorable little Aster joined our growing family. A baby girl at last! I was thrilled!



One day, shortly after Aster's birth, Oakheart insisted we all pay a visit to the Garden Grove. I was amazed to see that the tiny plants he had been tending for so long, were all huge, and leafy, and weighted down with fruits and vegetables. There were even plants that grew eggs and cheese and meat! That was magic I had never heard tell of, in any of my spell books.



And last but not least, the banana tree was ready to harvest! I slowing peeled back the skin, just as I used to do when I was a child. I took a small bite, closed my eyes, and savored the sweetness. It was even better than I remembered. When I opened them again, there was Oak, just grinning at me.
"Is it like you remember?"
"No."
"No?"
"It's even better," I smiled.



There was only one problem to dampen our spirits that day.
"Daddy, can I go play on the playground today?"
"No, Val. Remember what I've told you. The beaches are ours, the garden is ours, but the rest belongs to the wolves."
"But dad... The wolves don't even use it. It's not fair!"
As I surveyed the overgrown old playground, I couldn't help but remember all the good times we had there when I was a child. Val was right. It just wasn't fair. At that moment, I determined that I would have to do something about it. It was time to confront the wolves again.








2 comments: