Friday, February 24, 2012

Cypress - Gen 9 Ch 9

The days passed quickly for Star and I. Bluebell soon grew into a beautiful teenager. We assigned her the task of finding homes for our four sweet kittens, and she placed them with our many relatives scattered throughout Riverview.



Mom and Dad aged more gracefully than I would have ever expected. Dad surprised Mom with a private workout garden, surrounded in daffodils. She absolutely loved it, of course.


Mom was thrilled to have a place of her own to work out, and we were all equally excited, as there would be no more meltdowns from her when the equipment by the pool was temporarily in use.


Star and Azalea spent many long hours practicing their jumping. I even had a jumping course installed in the empty lot next door. 


Whenever I could, I'd take Lucky and head next door to watch, and cheer her on. It was truly amazing to see her progress.


We proudly displayed the trophies she won. My Star was really starting to make a name for herself. 


Although she was always interested to hear about my research, she was usually content to live in the here and now. I did show her the ruins under the house, and told her the old tales of the ghosts in the basement, and how they were eventually laid to rest at the family home in Champs Les Sims. I offered to take her there, to show her the old place, but she isn't much for travelling.


She was more interested in the story of Oakheart, whose story seems to be forever lost in the bustle of Sim City, and his unnamed brother, whose ashes still reside in the hidden chamber. But mostly she was content to spend her time with Azalea and the kitties, while I worked on my latest book.



There was only one dark spot in our idyllic life - our inability to have a child of our own. Star usually managed to hide her sadness, until we were alone in our room each night. Then the tears would begin to fall, and I would try to comfort her the best I could.


One night, after an epic crying session, we had just settled into bed when Star's phone startled us both awake. I groggily attempted to sit up, while she  jumped up and pressed her phone to her ear.
"Hello?"
"Granny! It's so good to hear from you!"
"Uh huh."
"Yes, how did you know?"
"You really think so?"
"Thank you, Gran. I love you."
"Bye!"


As soon as she hung up, Star turned to me.
"Cy, Granny says she knows why we aren't getting pregnant. But we need to go back to Hidden Springs. As soon as possible. Please?"



Before I knew it, we were saying goodbye to everyone. Bluebell agreed to take care of Azalea, Lucky and the kitties for us. It was hard for Star to leave them all behind, but there was no way to take them with us. 


After a long and uncomfortable flight, we finally pulled up in front of our home away from home for the next few months. I had arranged for a bigger place than the small cabin I'd stayed in last time. I wanted only the best for my Star, and as a bonus, Granny's house was directly across the street from us.


Early the next morning we walked across the street, to find Granny already out and working in her small garden. After an exuberant greeting, she launched right into her theory.
"It's the spring, it has to be. We are tied to the spring somehow. Every heir since time immemorial has drunk from the spring when she wanted to bear a child."
Star and I glanced at each other. It was such a simple thing, it was certainly worth a try.


I held her hand as we stepped over the old wooden bridge, the silence only broken by the occasional creak of the planks beneath our feet.


Once hidden in our private alcove, I turned to my beautiful wife and looked deep into her eyes. My heart wanted to believe this would work, but my head was telling me otherwise. I smiled and pushed my doubts away. If it didn't work, we'd cross that bridge when we came to it.
"Are you ready love?"
"You first, Cy."


I bent down on one knee. I could feel the dampness of the lush ground cover seeping in to the fabric of my jeans, but I ignored it, and splashed a handful of the sparkling water into my open mouth. I can't really describe the incredible taste - sweet, yet not, it initially gave the impression of carbonation, but no - all I can say is, I have never felt so alive, my thirst so quenched, as I did that moment. 


I had no words, I merely motioned for Star to take her turn, and smiled as the same expression of wondered spread across her face.


The horses are a sign, Star claims. We returned home from the spring to find them waiting for us. As we stared in amazement, the pure white stallion whinnied and reared to greet us. Then all three watched silently as as we made our way into the house. As soon as the door closed behind us, we heard the clatter of hooves as they raced off into the hills.


Whether it was the lingering effects of the hidden spring, or the promise of hope that we had been given, something was different that night.


And not long after, Star greeted me with a huge announcement.
"Cy.. love.. you might want to sit down..."

I was totally in shock. After all this time, all the tears and heartache, our dream was finally coming true. 

I couldn't keep my hands off her growing belly. Every few hours, I'd have to come check, just one more time. We were both so giddy, we could hardly wait for our little guy to make his entrance.


Yup, we know it's going to be a boy. Granny is sure, and Star says she's never been wrong yet.


I almost lost it, the night Star went into labor, but after a few scary moments, I'm pleased to say I managed to pry my hands from my face and actually be supportive.


I gazed in amazement at our newborn son. He looked so much like Star - but I could see some of me in there too. Star looked over at me with shining eyes.
"I want to name him Oakheart - after your ancestor, the one who took the pendant off to the big city."
"I think that's a perfect name, love. Hi there, Oakheart.. I'm your daddy!"


Granny was over ever day to help out, much to our relief. Star took to motherhood like a duck to water, but, well, I had a little harder time. He was so tiny! I was sure I would drop him, or something. 

But Granny and Star were both patient with me, and soon, I was feeding and changing diapers like a pro. 


As he grew, we were all amazed to see that his hair was coming in a perfect mixture of mine and Star's. The white streaks that had been a trademark of our family for generations was nowhere in evidence. And the dark streaks from Star were nowhere to be seen as well. He was truly a special blend of the both of us, and it was time to make the long journey back to Riverview.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update! I always love your story lines and your pictures are always fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the feedback! I can't believe the legacy is almost finished.

    ReplyDelete