Saturday, June 4, 2011

Oleander - Gen 7 Ch 1

Hello! I'm so honored to be carrying on my family's legacy. Now, I know everyone thinks I am a bit strange, but let me assure you, I know more about what really matters than anyone thinks I do, and that includes my papa's.
For one thing they don't understand my obsession with Lao Hu. I often find myself drawn to my easel, and, well you can see he insinuates himself into my paintings more often than not. I just know he is incredibly important. I don't know why, but I am determined to find out.


My Aunt Jia Li told me once that she was sure he had come from China, but when I went to speak with her the day after I graduated, I discovered some sad news. She had passed away that morning, and I comforted my Uncle Colt, all the while my obsession still burning in the back of my mind.


Finally I could stand it no longer. Uncle Colt had spent time in China, maybe he would know something. I could see Charles was getting bored; I had dragged him along because he is my ticket, so to speak. I know my papa's will never let me travel to China alone.
"Uncle Colt, do you have any ideas on where to start looking for information on my Lao Hu?"
He looked thoughtful for a minute.
"Well, Andee, I'm not certain, as I spent my time mainly in the capital city. But I do recall Jia Li talking about a place rich in ancient ruins, called.. mm.. Shang Sim La, if I remember correctly. Maybe that would be a good place to start."


And that is how I found myself half way around the world, in the tiny village of Shang Sim La, Charles in tow. First stop was the village square, hopefully someone in charge could direct us to a place to stay. The man in charge was about to direct us to the local hotel, but he did a double take when I told him my name.
"Excuse me, did you say your name is Greenbow? Are you related by chance to a Sunflower Greenbow? "
"Um yes, I am her direct descendant," I answered, mystified. I glanced at Charles to see if he was paying attention. Nope, he was getting bored already. I was on my own for this.
"I see", the village elder continued. "Did you know she owned some property here? We pride ourselves here in Shang Sim La on our record keeping."


It took some time, but I was finally able to prove my lineage to the elder's satisfaction. It was a long walk up a narrow dirt path to the top of a hill, but it was so worth it when we got there. The whole place was one huge garden. There was no house, but there was a fire pit, a spot for a tent, and a good sized bathroom, which was the only building there.
"Isn't this the most beautiful place you've ever seen, Charles?  Uh, Charles?" I waved my hands in front of his face.


But he was already making a bee-line for the martial arts equipment that was there near the edge of the hillside.
"Look here, Andee, this is so cool! I thought I was going to fall behind in my military training while we were here, but I guess I was wrong!"


I just sighed and headed into the bathroom for a nice soak in the tub. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like Charles. He's been my best friend since we started high school, and now he is, how do people say it...a friend with benefits.. yes, that sounds right. My papa's keep asking me when we are getting married, but I keep putting them off. I like my freedom too much, and Charles is fine with the way things are.


All that hot steamy water put me in the mood, so I thought I'd see if I could distract Charles for a bit.
"I just want to show you how happy I am that you came to China with me," I smiled at him with my best flirty expression.


He smiled back, his training forgotten for now. He pulled me close and kissed me...


...and we tried out our new tent. What fun!


Then next morning I walked back down the winding path to the village to visit the local relic merchant, while Charles headed off to the martial arts academy. I was amazed to see a tiger sitting on the counter that was an almost exact replica of my Lao Hu. I tried to flirt a little with the merchant, just to break the ice you know, but he informed me he was married. Well, I may enjoy flirting, but I am not that kind of girl, so I just shrugged it off and got right down to business.
"I am looking for information on this tiger." I pulled my Lao Hu out of my bag and carefully unwrapped it.
"Hmm, interesting. A very unusual piece," he muttered as he turned in over in his hands. "Much more rare than the set I have in my shop." He gestured at the trio of figures set out on the counter.
"In fact, I don't recognise the mark here at all." He pointed out a tiny symbol etched into the belly. "You don't happen to have the rest of the set, do you?"
"The rest of the set?"
"Of course. These pieces are never crafted alone. There is always the tiger, the dragon, and the serpent. Perhaps if the other two pieces were to be found... "



He finally ended up sending me to an acquaintance of his, who, he informed, me had much more knowledge about such things than he did. I thought that was a little odd, since I had been told he was the local expert, but who was I to object. Especially when I discovered that his friend Zhan likes to flirt as much as I do. He seemed to do a double take when he first saw me, but it was so brief I wondered if I was imagining it.
"May I ask what would bring such a lovely woman to this forgotten corner of the world?"
I giggled just a little.
"You may."
But he couldn't give me much more information on Lao Hu than the merchant had. He only confirmed that it would be hard to tell anything without the missing two figures. I was disappointed, but I wasn't about to give up yet.
"Do you think I could see some of the ruins here? Perhaps some where figures like this have been found before?"



I didn't know what I was was looking for, only that I was sure I would know it when I saw it. After climbing up and down hillsides for hours, and viewing hundreds of local ruins, we approached the highest point overlooking the village. I raced on ahead as we reached to top of the mountain.


It was so beautiful up here. I could see for miles. But more than that, as I clasped my pendant, I could feel it grow warm in my grasp. This place is special, I just know it.


I ran to edge of the drop off to get a better view, half expecting Zhan to warn me off, or pull me back, or something. Everyone I know in my life is always trying to protect me, and it drives me crazy. Heh, drives me crazy, that's funny. Maybe that's why people think I'm crazy. Hmm, maybe I am crazy.. no, that's crazy talk. Ahhhh..stop it, Andee. Back to the problem at hand.
Anyway, all I heard was a quiet voice from behind me.
"A very beautiful and sacred place, is it not, Miss Andee."


I had to find out more about this spot. I could see loose dirt in places, and what looked like shards of pottery poking out of the ground.
"Who owns this place? Would it be possible to buy it?"
Zhan shook his head emphatically.
"Never. It is owned by the state. They would never sell such an ancient site to a foreigner."
M face fell. "I understand. Would I be allowed to at least look here, for something that would tell me more about my Lao Hu?"
"Hmm, I am not sure. You'd have to talk to my friend at the relic shop about that."


It looked like my search was at a dead end for now, but I wasn't ready to leave. It was so peaceful on the mountain, and besides, Zhan kept glancing at me with an odd expression on his face, as if he wanted to say something but didn't quite dare. I just waited him out, I figured he'd get around to it eventually.
Finally he began, "You are not what I expected."
"What were you expecting?" I asked, trying to be flirty, but I'm pretty sure I failed, as he was having an effect on me like nothing I had felt before.
"I"m not sure, but definitely not you. Most foreigners are all the same, but you are different. Not only are you very beautiful, but you have a connection to this place."

"And then there is your hair," he continued, gently reaching out to touch the curls hanging down on my cheek. "I have never seen hair such as yours, but the genealogy of my family tells of an ancestor with hair the color of grass, far in the past, back in a time when the buildings that are now these ruins were new."
I tried to say something, but no words would come. My knees were wobbly, and my heart was pounding out of my chest.

I glanced up to meet his gaze, and when our eyes met, I could see he felt the same. Slowly he drew me close, and when his lips met mine it was like fireworks going off. It was as if all rational though had fled, and I was lost in his embrace. We clung to each other for a long time, until finally he pulled away.
"I am sorry, Andee, I have to go,' he whispered reluctantly.
 I only nodded, still not trusting myself to speak. We slowly made our way down the winding path to the village.

He went off to take care of his business, and I headed to the relic merchant once more. I remembered what Zhan had told me, that my request would be better received  if I began with the traditional greeting. So I bowed ever so slightly, feeling quite sure he would be willing to grant my request.


"I would like permission to do some careful excavation of the mountain top ruins."
"Not possible without a permit."
"Okay, how do I get a permit?" I smiled and tried to look reasonable.
"Yes, very sorry, not possible."
"But, you just said...why can't I get a permit?"
"Yes, very sorry, a permit is not possible at this time."



I was getting frustrated by now, and unfortunately I let it show.
"First you say I need a permit, then you say I can't get a permit?"
That of course didn't get me anywhere, so I took a deep breath and tried to rephrase my request.
"If it were possible to get a permit, how would one go about getting one?"



He frowned at me, but answered, "One would need to visit the ministry in the capital, where one would be required to complete a mountain of paperwork."
He held up his index finger and thumb to visualize a stack of paper about two inches high. I sighed in defeat as he continued.
"Then one would be waiting for a decision. Maybe one year, maybe ten years. Perhaps approved, perhaps not." He shrugged. "This is why I say not possible."


I couldn't just let it drop, so that evening I went to see Zhan. Maybe he could help.
"Andee! What are you doing here?" He was surprised to see me, but not displeased, I think.
"I... uh.." Suddenly all thoughts of excavating permits exited my mind, and I was at a loss for words again. He pulled me close and my breath caught as I still fumbled for something to say.
"You.. uh.."
"Shh, Andee, it's all right, I feel it too," he whispered softly in my ear.

"Come with me," he continued with a soft smile, as he led me to his room. He pulled my down onto his bed, and thus began the most amazing night I had ever experienced in my life.


It was only when I awakened the next morning to the wonderful sight of Zhan smiling at me, that a nagging thought pushed it's way into my brain. Charles was going to be so worried - I had turned my cell phone off, and had totally forgotten to tell him where I was going. But that was for later - right now I had other things on my mind.


1 comment:

  1. I read through the entire legacy to catch up and I'm loving it!

    I think my favorite heir so far was Ren, he could be a jerk, but it was fun to read ;] Well, they've all been fun to read :p

    ReplyDelete