Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ren - Gen 5 Ch 1

It seems that I now have the dubious pleasure of updating our family journal. To back-track a little, that birthday party was awesome - I'm really glad my mom agreed to it. I think the best part was when I finally realized that my annoying, evil little brother was actually pretty cool, and fun to hang out with.

"Psst, hey Ren, sneak me one of those drinks, will ya? No one's lookin'."


I glanced around. Mom and Dad were totally oblivious out on the dance floor. So I quickly snagged a drink off the bar and holding it low, slipped it over to Mel. I was surprised not to feel even a twinge of guilt over it. I felt pretty good, even.


"Thanks, bro. You're not so bad after all."

I kept slipping Mel drinks, and we kept drinking drinks, till we were both pretty juiced. I discovered Mel gets all philosphical when he drinks, and we had a long discussion on his decidedly Machevellian views.

"It's all about power, Bro. You gotta have power if you're gonna get what you want, and sometimes the path to power isn't pretty."

Since the night of our birthdays, Mel's become quite the mixologist. When he's home he can usually be found playing around at the bar in our basement.

I've never seen a high school kid throw back drinks like he can. I keep his secret, which is pretty easy.

Dad's usually engrossed in his video games, and Mom's playing with the fireplace. Not the two most observant of parents.

As for me, I snagged a job as a private investigator. My clients appreciate my mad deduction skills, and Mel appreciates the info I feed him from the police department. I never ask, but I assume he's passing it on to his friends at the warehouse.

Most of my clients are pretty cool, but some are downright crazy. Like this guy. He was sure someone was sneaking into his house and ruining his shoes. Turns out he was doing it himself. He freaked out when I tried to tell him.

Made me burn all my notes in front of him. At least he paid me.

I love this job. I'ts what I was meant to do. Going through strangers' mail...

....breaking into houses without fear of the law...

...taking stuff for evidence.. I bet mom would like these flowers.

I know mom is into "borrowing" stuff too. I see her sneaking stuff into the mailbox all the time. I say, what's the point of "borrowing" stuff if all you're gonna do is send it back the next day? Not me.

And after dealing with clients all day, there's nothing like going out on the town with my bro.

Mel's a real ladies man.

A different girl every night. Tonight it's Francseca Lessen, but even she can't hold his attention long.

I try to keep up with him.

But my heart belongs to Maureen, my highschool sweetheart. She is such a doll. She hates the bar scene, but when I'm done partying she's always there waiting....

... and willing.

So I was surprised to see her one night, come into the Grind. I gave her a little kiss.
"Hey doll, What you doing here? Come have a drink with me?"
But she pulled back a little as I kissed her.
"What's wrong, babe?" I wondered.

"Don't you ever answer your phone? I've been trying to call you for days." She was not happy.
"Uh, I've been busy..." Truth is Maureen's been pressing me lately about spending more time with her, and I hate being pressured.
"Busy doing what, this?" She waved her hand vaguely at the bar. " I just came to tell you one thing. I'm pregnant, and if you want to be a part of your baby's life, you need to change your ways.

And with that, she stormed out of the bar, leaving me in a state of shock.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!! They're back!!

    Love the new heir, great dynamic <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) He surprised me by rolling the evil trait when he aged up to YA.

    ReplyDelete